Confrontation

"Seraphina"

Oh. Crap.

Leilah casually halts in place and turns around to meet the face of the only person I think I would love to murder right now.

My mother.

Last time I saw her, I had escaped the prison of my home by slightly blackmailing her. And now, I stand here, facing her. Facing the woman who I wished did not birth me.

"Hello miss. Can I help you?" Leilah does not even refer to her as mom anymore. And neither should I.

"Yes. I was wondering what you are doing with my daughter? I was informed she was staying here." She smiles coyly.

Leilah looks to me and looks to my mom, "Is this your mother? If so, I am inclined to inform her of the procedures." Leilah gives me a look. She set this up perfectly. My mom tries to conceal her growing anger underneath a small smile. Even I can tell it is venomous. 

"No. I do not know this woman."

My mom's fake smile disappears. It turns into a glare. She is angry. But she does not lose her composure. How...my mother of her. She doesn't meet my gaze. I try and appear as confused as possible. I hope that I do not appear dumb."

"Ma'am. I assure you that this...girl...is my daughter. She must have amnesia from all the treatments you are giving her."

"Ma'am, we have not given her any treatments." Leilah emphasizes the "ma'am".

My mom takes a deep breath, puts on her fake smile, and begins to turn around. Keyword: "begins"

She turns back around so fast that I cannot react. Neither can Leilah. My mom snatches Leilah's clipboard out of her hands. Leilah tries to stay calm, as do I, but neither of us are doing well.

"See this? The name? It is MY daughter." I have no idea what my mom wants with me at this point, and honestly, I am scared to ask. Leilah snatches the clipboard out of her hands and heads for the elevator. I follow.

I am about to step inside the elevator when I feel a tug on the back of my top. I am still in the jumpsuit from before. My mom is holding onto the fabric. Fake nails and all. Ugh.

“Miss,” I try to sound as non confronting as I can, “Could you please let go?”
“No. Seraphina, you are coming home.”
“I think you have the wrong person.”
“I-”
She stares for a minute. “Sorry. Yes. I will be going.”

I step into the elevator with Leilah. Luckily, now we were alone again.
“What did you do?”
“I went back and made sure she never saw us. I have been working on my ability since I last saw you ya know. I can change memories pretty easily.”
“Oh.”
Leilah has always had the more prestigious ability. That’s why my mother always hated the fact that she lost her. And now she has lost me too. Part of me wishes she felt the pain I feel anytime I look at her. The shame, guilt, and fear. 
That won’t happen though.
I will not become like her. I refuse.
Leilah presses the “R” key. I assume it means roof. Wait. The roof? Upon seeing my confused expression, Leilah simply says, “Being one of the top scientists here has its perks you know.”
I nod. Of course it does. Nex Gen is one of the most prosperous companies nationwide right now.
The elevator ride is only a minute or two. Soon, I find myself faced with so much wind in my face that my hair blocks my view. There was a whole helicopter waiting up here. 
And it is ready to go.
Leilah, with her hair sloppily pulled into a makeshift pony, runs for the helicopter. I run after her and take my place next to her in the back.  
The helicopter begins to hover. Leilah puts on a headset and speaks with the pilot briefly. I don’t understand what they are saying. I am too full of adrenaline to comprehend.

All I know is that we are moving.

JOHN’S POV

“John, you can come out now.”

I stay still. I cannot go back. I can’t see him.
I just can’t.

“John. I don’t want to have to bring back any more force than I have to. Right now it is just you and me. I don’t want to have to escalate this.”
I hesitate. Is he? Is he really? Or is he lying? Images fill my head of...punishments I do not wish to endure again. 
“Alright.” I say softly. My voice is tinged with hints of venom and threat. Nobody will call me weak anymore. I must...I must…
I straighten my posture and slowly come down the staircase. This will be on my terms.
“John! Good to see you. Why don’t you come with me? Back to my office.” His voice falls at his last statement. He is serious about this. Of course, I make no move to voice any compliance. Instead I just begin walking. My terms. My terms. My terms.
The walk to his office is silent. There is nobody around, teacher or student. I wonder how many are not allowed out for safety, or for classes. When we reach the door to his office, I stop. Last time I was in here, things did not exactly end all that great. 
The headmaster obviously sees something about me that is off because his voice has concern when he asks “John, is everything alright?”
I shake off whatever haze I was under and move forward. “Yeah.”
The headmaster takes a seat behind his desk. He motions for me to sit and quickly scans through a filing cabinet before pulling out a yellow manilla folder. On it is my name.
“Now John, I know you have a pretty….violent history. I don’t think that it needs to be brought up any more than it already has…”
“But?”
“I will not deny the fact that this needs to stop.”
I stare right back at him.
“John, the students are scared. My students are scared. That is not something I will tolerate.”
“Your students are scared…?” 
“Yes, John. My students are scared.”
I chuckle. But not jokingly. I am mad now. “Scared? Your students are scared? Your students have ALWAYS been scared! Always! Talk to any low tier at this school. Anyone without status. They are always scared.”
“While I am aware the normal school environment is not...Ideal, it does prevent anarchy.”
“Maybe anarchy is what they need!”
“John!”
I am standing with my hands on his desk. Silence ensues. 

I slump back into the chair. 

“I will not envolve law enforcement.”

I look over in surprise. 

“Tell me about your...rehabilitation. Will you?”

*Thanks for reading this Chapter of Lies Lies Lies! Be sure to leave a comment, add this story to your library and vote for this chapter! Byeeee!!!*

P.S. Those new episodes are getting realllly crazy lately. Had to incorporate some of that energy into my already chaotic story. :)
-Ghostly