39

The next morning, the three of of us were up bright and early, even though my head was pounding. The plan was to go into our workplaces to explain the situation, hoping that our bosses would be fine with us missing the next few days to spend in London. After this, Mary will drive us to the venue, hoping to get there with enough time to find the boys and surprise them. We could stay with them if all went to plan, so there was no need to find a hotel.

I was waiting for Rogers morning phone call before we did anything though. I had to speak to him, so he wouldn't worry and he wouldn't get an incline that we were coming. He'd for sure know something was up if I didn't answer the phone.

"It's nearly ten. Surely they'll be up." Deborah groaned, spooning cereal into her mouth slowly. She always struggled the most with hangovers out of the two of us, fortunately for me. Mary couldn't sit down out of excitement. I did feel the same, but I also was worried. What if we turned up and he wasn't that happy? Maybe he didn't want me to come, that's why he was so nonchalant about the matter? What if he's found another girl in London? A well dressed, posh, beautiful girl? London girls are like that!

My train of worry soon ended abruptly when the phone rang. Finally. I shot up before it could reach its second ring.

"Hello?"

"Morning, babe!"

Thank God.

"How did rehearsal go last night? How are you? Did you sleep well? Are you nervous?" I rambled. I really need to stop doing that.

"What should I answer first?" He chuckled.

"First one."

"It went amazingly, Jules. I can't wait! Obviously I wish you would be there to see it, but there's nothing that can be done." I sighed, "How was your night?"

"Yeah, it was alright. Didn't get home that late and we made some food when we got home," I laughed at the memory of cooking omelettes with two drunk girls at two am, "turns out i'm a better cook than Debs and Mary."

Roger laughed,

"When I get back, you can cook me an omelette then." He joked. I smiled to myself, longing to be with him again. "Fuck, I miss you."

"I miss you, too."

"I can't wait to see you."

What he didn't know is that it'd be much sooner than he thought.

"Me too. Right, I hate to have to cut it short but I have to get to work. I'll speak to you later?" He sighed sadly.

"Yeah, yeah, of course. I'll call after your shift. I love you."

"I love you."

He ended the call. I stood for a minute with the phone against my ear, listening as the long dial tone rang loudly.

"Right, we'll pack up the car, and you and Debs get to the pub and speak to Angie, i'll go to Biba and then we'll meet back at the corner shop. We'll leave straight from there, sound good?" Mary said, squashing her fifth cigarette out of the morning.

"Sounds perfect."

-

I walked into the pub nervously, unsure of how Angie would respond to my question. She was standing behind the bar, the pub basically empty other than the odd regular customer who came every single day to have a pint. Her face lit up when I approached her, Deborah outside waiting for me.

"You alright, love? Your shift doesn't start for another hour?" She greeted, wiping down the counter.

"Hey, Ang. Erm, I have a question. I completely understand if not, you don't have to say yes, but it'd be really amazing if you did..."

"Spit it out, Jules." She winked.

"So, you know I told you about my boyfriends gig in London?" She nodded, "Well, me and another member of the bands girlfriend want to surprise them at the concert tonight. It'd mean i'd have to miss work, though, which I feel terrible about. It's just - gigs like this don't come around much, and-"

"Julia, don't be silly. Of course you can go. I'll call Paul in to cover your shift. He owes me anyway." Angie replied. A huge weight was lifted from my shoulders. The tension headache that had appeared this morning disappeared.

"Oh, thank you so much Ang!" I threw my arms around her. "I'll make this up to you, I promise!" I said as I exited the pub.

"Have a good night, babe!" She called after me.

"So?" said Deborah, one leg leaning against the wall, cigarette hanging from her mouth.

"She said yes!" I squealed. Debs nodded,

"Knew she would. Ok, let's go meet Mary. Her boss better be as nice as yours."

-

When we approached the corner shop, Mary was already there, picking at her finger nails.

"Mary!" I called, getting her attention. She looked up, frowning. That's not good.

"How did it go?" Deborah asked. Mary shook her head sadly.

"Long story short, i've quit." My eyes widened,

"What?! What happened?"

"They said no, even though i've worked fucking hard for that company, taking hours that people didn't want, the Christmas hours, New Year's eve and New Year's day. Whatever. I'd rather see Freddie, anyway." She shrugged. I squeezed her shoulder. I know how much she loved that job, even if they treated her like shit. "Honestly, it's fine. Assuming your boss agreed it, can we just go? The sooner I see Freddie the better." I nodded sympathetically, the three of us getting into Mary's car in silence.

/

I can't even tell if my writings good any more lol

So i'm still self isolating, which is not fun at all. I hope you're all well!