Chapter 2: Overflowing

"Meng? Pasok ako ha. Ito na ang tubig."

Kinuha ni Maine ang pitsel ng tubig at baso kay Yaya Pepe.

"Thank you, Yaya Pe. Akin na po."

"Okay lang ba si Athena, Meng?" Asked Yaya Pepe in a lower voice.

"Hindi Yaya. I'll just need to talk to her. Magluto ka nalang muna ng hapunan Yaya, ha, baka magutom yong mag-ama ko. Ako na bahala muna dito." Maine smiles at Yaya Pepe, and taps her shoulder for reassurance.

Her daughter is lying at her front while holding her pillow and crying. As a mother, this breaks her heart.

Athena is already 22, too old to be protected too much by her husband and son but too young also to decide on her own.

Sometimes she asks herself if it's right for her and RJ to shower their children with too much love and affection to the point that it spoils them—not with material things but with how they really showed their love to their twins.

Athena is a lot like her—introvert and she could say her Athena has the kindest heart. What was melting her heart then, is now causing her heartache as a mother because her daughter doesn't know the difference between people who're genuinely kind to her or just taking advantage of her kind heart. Most of the time her daughter have a lot of misses when it comes to knowing people's intention on her—that is why her husband and son became so protective of her.

Her Siegfried is kind too, loving, but between him and Athena, Siegfried has far more iron fist hands when it comes to decision making. Sometimes hard-headed but napagsasabihan naman. He is somehow a cross between her and RJ's personality. He got my straightforward personality—when he decides—that's it. But he also got his father's negotiation skills. A true charmer and a businessman characters indeed.

Nevertheless, she loves their twins so much she could lay her life protecting them.

She went to bed with a glass of water.

"Athena, anak, please get up and drink this water. Mauubosan ka ng fluid, love. Come here." Inaapuhap niya ang likod ng anak.

Athena slowly turns to her back and gets up in a seating position. She gets the glass of water from her Mom and slowly drinks it. She's choking from crying. Eyes and nose are red, and she hates seeing her daughter this way.

Maine gets the empty glass of water from her daughter and put it on the side table.

She seats as well in an Indian seat fronting her daughter.

"Are you ready to tell me what's going on, love? Mommy will listen, you know that right? Mommy will always listen." Maine caressing her daughter's head and wiping her tears again.

Athena closes her eyes and lets her tears fall once again and then looks at her mom.

"Mommy, I am sorry, I didn't tell you and Daddy."

"Medyo nagtampo ako, kasi 4 months na pala pero di mo man lang nasasabi kay Mommy. Am I not trustworthy enough, love, for you to not tell me with what's happening in your personal life?"

"Hindi naman sa ganon, Mommy. Alam ko kasi pag sinabi ko sa'yo, Daddy would know too, and I am not ready..."

"Bakit? You think, aayawan ni Daddy mo yang boyfriend mo?"

"I don't know. But naisip ko lang na sa previous relationships ko, Daddy always seems to agree with Siegfried. Feeling ko Daddy doesn't want me to be happy..." Athena's eyes are clouded again with tears and it pains her more—because more than anyone her husband only wants all of them to be happy.

"That's not true, love. Have you talk to your Daddy about how you feel, Athena?"

Umiling si Athena.

"You should, because all I know is kung may isang tao mang gusto kayong masaya palagi, tayo palagi—si Daddy mo yon."

"I know Mommy, and I love Daddy so much. I love you both so much!"

Maine hugs her daughter.

"I love you so much, too, love. Please tell me more about Reynald."

Athena's eyes brighten and she smiles upon hearing the name of the guy. I still need to know more about this certain guy. I think my husband and son know more about him. I'll know about that later.

"I met him at Cassey's birthday, Mom. He's a great guy. He makes me feel loved and cherish. With him I feel like I can be anyone, you know Mommy, yong feeling na ganon."

"I know it because that's what I feel with your Daddy." Maine smiled.

"I just don't get it Mommy, why Siegfried is doing this. He punched Reynald, Mommy..."

"I still need to talk to your brother about that. But I am sure he has his reasons. You know your brother, Athena. He won't react that way ng walang dahilan, and he just loves you so much, Athena."

"I know, Mom. But I am 22 now. Can I decide on my own, Mommy?"

"Remember your first two boyfriends, love?"

"I know, and I hate it! Because Siegfried is always right! And that's one of the reasons why I hide it from you and Daddy, Mommy. Kasi I am afraid that Siegfried will be right again this time—but Mom, even if he is or he will be...wala ba akong karapatan to know and decide for my own?"

"I got your point, love. Let me talk to Siegfried about that. But, love...aminin mo man o hindi you have a lot of misses when it comes to knowing people's intention to you—masyadong mapagbigay ang puso mo, Athena. You have the purest and kindest heart I've known. And I love that about you, Athena. But there are things in life, situations, and most of all people that you have to get to know more before giving your heart fully. Love, one day, you have to learn that. I want you to learn that, anak—kasi hindi araw araw nandito si Siegfried, ako at ang Daddy mo. Darating ang araw you'll have to figure things out on your own. Wala kang maasahan kundi ang sarili mo and that includes knowing people's true colors and intentions..."

"Mommy, please don't say that. Hindi ko kayang wala kayong lahat..."

"I am not saying it will happen, love. Because as long as I am still breathing...nandito lang ako for you Athena. You and Siegfried are my most prize jewel—but even golds and diamonds can't top your value in my heart." Maine couldn't help herself but shed a tear too. She can't imagine life without her family. She can't imagine leaving behind her twins and her RJ.

Athena hugs her mom and cries on her shoulder too.

"I love you, Mommy...so much."

"I love you too, Athena. Please take care of your heart, love—because Mommy's heart will break into a million pieces if you allow someone to hurt you just like that. If there comes a time that your heart will break in two—make sure he is worthy, love, like how Daddy is to me."

"I will Mommy. I will. Thank you."

Maine untangles from the embrace and wipes her tears and then wipes her daughter's tears too. She smiles and gives her daughter a reassuring look.

"Talk to your Daddy, later, sweetheart. Okay?"

"Yes, Mommy. I will kahit natatakot na ako..."

"As always, Athena, if there's one person who can melt your Daddy's heart easily—ikaw yon. Hindi ka matitiis non."

"I know Mommy. Thank you again for always being here with me..."

"Where else would I wanna be, love? Of course. Kahit naglilihim ka na kay Mommy." Maine said while pouting.

"I am sorry. I love you, Mommy. Okay?" Athena hugs her mom and kisses her cheek.

"I know that, love. I know that." Maine hugs her daughter back.

Author's Note: Gandang pagmasdan ang mag ina. Sobrang bait mo Athena kaya madaming nanamantala. Mabuti nalang may Daddy RJ at twin brother Siegfried kang nag po-protekta sa'yo.

O sya, tignan natin ang kabilang silid kung anong ganap nila. 😊