26|| I didn't mean to

Start from the beginning

Whenever I tried to approach the topic he snapped at me and I was done being put down by him.

"I have nothing else to say."

"No? Because the other day you seemed to have a lot to." I pressed my lips together, diverting my gaze at the aching in my chest. Just leave me alone, Brett. But he eyed me carefully a couple more seconds before speaking again when he realized I wouldn't say anything. "Whatever. I do have something to say." I gasped when he tipped my chin up, gently, forcing our gazes to met. When did he get this close? Chills spread from that small contact all the way down my spine and I felt like melting at the look in his orbs. Anger and frustration swirled in them, but also another feeling. Something soft that was like a pull to the strings of my heart. His breath grazed my lips stealing more of my common sense. "And you're gonna listen to me."

Listen to him... listen to him! Flashes of his rage last time we'd talked shattered the spell he seemed to had pull on me. It took all my will power to remember what I was doing with who and comand my trembling hand to clamp around his wrist and pulled out his grip.

"I don't want to." another emotions overshadowed the previous in his gaze: disappointment. But he covered it quick narrowing his eyes. I could feel my pulse mad, drumming in my ears. Take a breath, Alyson. You got this. "I'm tired of this. I don't want to heard it anymore. It doesn't matter. I accepted you're upset and it was my fault from the beginning." He grimaced when I threw his words back at him but I didn't allowed myself to pay attention, knowing I won't be able to walk away if so and swallowed the painful knot in my throat. "I get it. Now can we move on?"

But his hand hooked around my wrist before I could escape and gently tugged me back with a huff/sigh. "It's not that. You're misunderstading it all over again. You brought it up, remember? And then you bolted away in the middle of it." his jaw clenched. "You can't do that. It's not fair."

I returned his hooded gaze, hopping to look more determined than how I felt. "And why not?"

"Because now you just overthink it all and take the wrong conclusions. And you can't do that without letting me explain the whole thing."

Whole thing? My blood boiled. When did he ever let me explain the whole thing back to when Jace spread rumors? Or anytime after that, really? He just assumed the worst of me and act accordingly. And now he wanted me to be patient and endure his rage when I asked simple questions?! He got a lot of nerve.

"Well," I snatched my wrist free. "Now you c-can't explain the whole thing since I can't be late again. But don't bother, I w-woudn't want to have you waiting since I'm such a big burden for you." I side-stepped him, deciding an early withdrawal was my best option and heard him groaned in frustration and followed.

He didn't give up, uh? Something clenched in my chest at his persistence but I couldn't pinpoint if it was good or bad. What I knew is that I couldn't escape the way Brett manage to affect me so much with barely his presence. I tried to ignored him as I picked up my books for next period. The students were already scurring away towards their classes and I wasn't lying when I said I couldn't be late again. A proper discussion like the one Brett was looking for would more than probably earn me detention or a penalization.

Brett leaned against the wall, in the spot between blocks of locker next to mine, hands stiffly into his pockets. "I hate when you do this. I'm trying here."

"I'm not doing anything." I mumbled.

"Exactly." he sneered through clenched teeth. "You just decided you're mad and close off. You can be really infuriating, you know that?"