26|| I didn't mean to

Začít od začátku

What were the chances of Macy not having heard it so we can keep out way down the corridor without actually having to face him?

Whatever the lame percentage was, it dropped quick to 0 when Brett caught up with us and stood in our path, blocking the way. Some passers-by gave us weird looks and I found myself suddenly really interested in my shoes.

During the whole weekend I've been replaying our argument, over and over. Like a broken record.

The more I remembered it the more frustrated I got. It felt as if we'd lived completely different realities. I couldn't pinpoint the exact moment, but I came to the conclusion I did hurt him at some point. When? That I got no clue. Maybe when the whole rumor with Jace Turmont spread. Jace himself said he pursued the rumor thinking it would made Brett jealous.

Brett jealous. Right! But what else could it be?

And then in his room the auburn acused me of keeping him always as a second choice. Thinking of it coldly afterwards it could actually make sense with the jealous theory if he thought I picked Jace over him. But then again, why would someone like him get jealous over someone like me? He distanced himself from me, and back then he was after Jade.

So, as daydreaming that theory seemed I need to find a more reasonable one.

Unable to find one, I'd come to the conclusion whatever it was what we have back when we were kids, it wasn't that fitting now. We clearly had a lot of shit on our history and going back to what we were only brought more pain. So, I took the best decision in this case: keep my distance.

Judging by the way I felt his eyes buring into me I guessed he didn't take well the ignored calls and monosyllabic texts. For the way my heart was wildly pounding, my inner self still yet to get the point as well. Especially considering I'd made a fool out of myself again with my weeping show in front of him.

"Oh, hi Brett." Macy must felt the tension, since her gaze darted between me and the pissed guy in front of us. I mean, I was still yet to look up at him but fot the harsh way he stuck his fists on his pockets I could tell he was not happy with my decision.

When is he ever happy with any decision of mine, tho?

"Hi, M." the contained tone he used only increased my anxiety, making goosebumps appeared in my nape and down my arms. "Do you mind?"

Yes!

But before I could fully understood its meaning Macy's head tilted knowingly. "Yeah, mm, you look like you need to sort this out so..." her gaze made my pleading look but chose to ignore it. "See yah."

How could she?!

The flutter in my stomach only grew when she smiled and keep moving towards her locker, leaving me there just like that! I'm going to kill her.

First Norah, now Macy... what's up with my friends siding with him instead of having my back?

"Well," Brett cleared his throat attracting my attention back to him. "Don't you think we have some catch up to do?"

My heart somesaulted in my chest, doing all kind of messed up tricks. "No..."

"Yes, Alyson. You can't fucking pull on that stunt and leave."

I flinched at his harshness but I guess I kinda deserve it. He kinda had a point because I did bring all that up and then decided to put an end to what I started. Not like I would let him know, tho.

Not liking his tone or the glances he was earning us I pursed my lips, still yet to met his gaze since I know I would crumble then. I also had the right to be upset about his ways. He was just as guilty as myself about our messed up situation, and he still refused to 'forgive' me or let me know what had changed. Nothing guaranteed me he wouldn't go back to his old ways and bullied me again since I didn't know why he stoped. Or why he started in the first place.