22: Electric Fire

Start from the beginning

Blake sighs and tucks her phone away, slipping into a seat across from Lara and Ryan on some of the outdoor furniture. Ava is nowhere in sight, but she'll likely turn up later. Lara assures Blake she checked in recently and is okay.

Though she's sitting with her friends, she's more focused on looking out for Ethan than the conversation. At this point she's considering going home, but then it really hits her. Why is she wasting her time hiding from him?

She shouldn't have to be worried about running into him--or spend her time that's supposed to be fun and relaxing, hiding just to avoid him. Ethan doesn't get to dictate her life or force his way back into it if she doesn't want that, and Blake's as stubborn as they come so if she wants to get rid of him she'll sure as hell try her hardest.

Or maybe--maybe she doesn't even have to avoid him. He used to be this cocky and annoying all the time, but that started to wear off. Maybe if they hangout in their group it'll stop being a problem.

Ethan eventually finds her, now that she's no longer avoiding him. He doesn't even say hi, only slips into the seat next to her and wraps his arm around her waist, holding her close. He leans in to kiss her cheek, only to be stopped.

"Found you, chérie. Don't I get a prize?"

"Your prize is that I've decided to tolerate you for now."

Blake shrugs him off, watching her friends eyebrows tilt upward, but ignores it. Ethan lets out an exaggerated sigh, pretending like he was expecting more, and then grins. "That's okay with me. What did I miss?"

"We were just talking about Grayson eating shit earlier trying to hang the Kappa flag back up," Lara shakes her head, motioning to where the flag used to sit perched atop the roof. The presidents room had a window you can climb out onto, and from there you can climb a little bit higher to where they previously had the flag hanging, before it got knocked down over break by strong winds. "I yelled at him afterward and now no one has bothered getting it back up."

Grayson tried and failed to replace it. He slipped trying to climb up to the higher ledge and smacked his face against some tiles, but was lucky he didn't fall off of the roof. Lara was not happy when she heard.

"Ah, yeah, he's a dumbass," Ethan laughs, glancing at Blake who looks far too bored for his liking. It's a party, she should be having fun. "Dare me to go try and put it up, Blake?"

"No, are you crazy?" She asks, eyes widening. Ethan isn't drunk, but he doesn't need to risk it. If Grayson couldn't do it, Ethan doesn't have to try it either. "Just because I think you're annoying doesn't mean I want you dead."

As if she heard Blake's plea for a distraction, Ava comes jogging over and squeezes herself directly between her and Ethan. "I was just playing truth or dare, and it ended with Trent lighting his own hair on fire."

"Oh my god, is he okay?" Lara gasps, Ryan and Ethan only shaking their heads while Blake sighs.

"Yeah, it was only on fire for like, a second, but we all decided to call it quits there. Anyone seen Grayson?"

"Just texted him and told him he's doing a shitty job as risk management," Ethan snorts, glancing between them all with a half-smile. "Why don't we play our own game? Truth or drink sounds fun to me."

His eyes land right on Blake, knowing he has a few things he could ask her. She has some she'd like to ask Ethan too, but doesn't want to get into this mess with him--not around all of their friends. God knows what he's planning, but the look on his face is suspect.

"I don't even have a drink, and I don't think any of us need to be getting that drunk," she laughs, standing up. "But I am gonna go get one."

Blake planned not to drink tonight, but definitely needs one now after being around Ethan. "I'll come with you, chérie."