Six | Will You Have Dinner With Me?

——

The next few days went by in a blur. Everyday Abby would come into the bar at eight o'clock, order a whiskey and sit down opposite where I'd stand to work behind the counter, and we'd talk and talk until the place closed. And then she'd walk me home. It had become routine, and a routine I didn't ever want to stop following.

I walked along the cold morning street and crossed the road to enter the bar. The winter was at it's peak, and with Christmas in a couple of weeks, everywhere was always busy of organiser present buyers. Sometimes I was thankful that I didn't have friends, because not having friends meant that I didn't have to stress over caring for them. The closest thing I had to a friend was Abby, but I didn't know if she consider me that. After all, she was just a woman who had drinks with a simple and poor bar girl.

"Good morning." I mumbled to Elton, entering the back room to put take off my coat.

"I thought I should let you know that Daniella's quit. But you might have guess that by her very long absence."

Wow, thanks for the morning greeting.

"Oh, is she okay?" I asked, putting my bag away.

"Apparently she secretly got married and ran off with a lad from the country. None of my business though." He shrugged simply, leaving to go to his office as usual. I sighed and walked to the counter, cleaning all the surfaces ready for the day.

"Guess who." A soft voice spoke behind me as I was putting away some clean glasses. A smile crept onto my face when I immediately recognised the tone.

"I don't know, possibly a brunette woman in need of a whiskey?" I turned around and chuckled.

"You know me too well." Abby laughed, a sparkle in her eye as she pushed her hair back behind her ears. I poured her normal drink and handed it to her and in return she passed over the money.

"Sit with me?" She pointed to the far corner of the bar, but I shook my head slowly.

"Sorry, I have to stay here again, Elton got a little annoyed when I left my station yesterday to sit there. Sorry." I looked down at my hands and felt bad. She must just want a normal conversation with a normal person, not sitting on an uncomfortable stool as I stood awkwardly behind the bar.

"That's okay, I wouldn't want to get you into trouble." Abby flashed me her golden smile, the one that warmed the depths of my heart.

"So how was your day?" I asked, pulling a stool around to my side of the counter, too tired to stand.

"Urgh. John keeps on ordering me to make their coffees and run around like their personal maid. Just because I'm a woman." Abby sighed, resting her chin on her hand, "What about you? How's your day been?"

I smiled, "Average. I broke my alarm clock again last night but I managed to fix it. Apart from that, nothing exciting." Abby chuckled and sipped on her drink.

"Can I buy you a drink?" She asked, eyeing me carefully.

"No thank you, but it's kind of you to offer again." I concealed a blush by looking away and focusing on the drunk men across the room.