i couldn't want you any more

Sunflower, Vol. 6

Chapter Six: I Couldn't Want You Any More

Neil was dropped off at his house at eleven the next morning, and he felt like he was buzzing with electricity. Before opening his door, he let his head rest against the door frame. God, this was pathetic. He pulled himself together and opened the door. As soon as he entered, he regretted it.

Paisley and Allison were too alike to be left alone with each other. He should have realized that before he left to be with Andrew.

Paisley caught sight of him and ran towards him, jumping onto him at full force. She started babbling, "Aunt Alli said you went with Drew. Are you married? I hope you're married. I want him here."

Neil was speechless, and Allison answered the question for him, "Not yet. They'll get married real soon. And you'll be the flower girl and I'll be the maid of honor."

Neil was five seconds from walking out of the door when Paisley hugged his legs, "I missed you. Why didn't you take me with you?"

"Baby, it was just for me and him. Next time, I'll take you with me. You can help fend him off if he's being mean, okay?"

Paisley nodded, puffing her chest out. Her attention went back to Allison, who was putting her shoes on to leave, "Where are you going?"

"I think Aunt Renee wants to see me. She misses me, just like you missed your dad."

Paisley nodded in understanding, "Can you tell Rae I love her?"

Allison ensured Paisley she would, kissing her cheek as she walked to the door. She stopped to look at Neil, "I saw what he posted. You looked happy. I hope he stays, even if it's just for Paisley."

Neil's mouth was dry as he watched Allison leave. She quietly shut the door and Neil felt his walls crumble. He ran his hands over his face. What the fuck was he doing?

Noticing his distress, Paisley pulled at his arm and dragged him to the couch. She pushed him down and then sat on his lap. She was quiet for a few minutes, letting Neil think in peace. "Why are you sad?"

"I'm not sad, baby. I'm just confused." It was pointless to try explaining how he was feeling to a five year old who cried when an episode Peppa Pig ended.

Paisley nodded, "Can we take a nap? Naps always make me feel better!"

In minutes, they had made a bed of pillows and blankets and were cuddled together, dropping in and out of sleep. As soon as Neil saw Paisley was asleep, he closed his eyes, letting the world and his worries slip from his grasp.

~ ~ ~

Paisley woke up to her dad still asleep. She understood that he was having trouble with something. And she was going to solve his problems. She made her way to the kitchen quietly, finding Neil's phone and taking it to her room. She closed her door silently and sat on her bed. Holding the power button, she activated Siri, "Call Drew."

"Calling Andrew Minyard," the robotic voice answered.

"I didn't take you for the clingy type, Neil," Andrew answered, sounding happier than Neil was right now.

"My daddy is sad," Paisley started, and Andrew was instantly silent. "He didn't even make lunch. He always makes dino nuggets for me and him when he doesn't go to big kid school."

"Is he okay? Are you okay? Do I need to come over?"

"Daddy would be mad. I can't have people over," Paisley sadly explained. "And he doesn't know I'm talking with you." She pronounced it 'whiff', and she dragged out all of her syllables.