➖ Sympathy for the Broken

Start from the beginning

Quiet, mysterious and seemingly patient, Tatara saw on the worn-out leather couch. His red piercing eyes did not avert from her petite body as she approached in the pace she chose. His stoic appearance made many tremble before him – his very eyes effortlessly made shivers run down anyone's body. Even Aya felt a degree of unease in his presence, but she didn't want to tremble – she didn't allow Tatara to think he had established dominance over her emotions.

And just like a little puppy, always by his side, on the head lean of the couch sat the petite ghoul in tattered maroon cloak with droopy ears. Eto watched the girl with black ripped jeans with interest. Her elbows rested on the tips of her knees and silently, the eyes she hid under the bandages watched every step Aya made. Those sky blue eyes disinterestedly glanced at Eto. She came to a halt and her eyes averted back towards Tatara.

"You wanted to talk to me?" Alone in the room with them, Aya's voice almost echoed to every corner.

"Are you questioning my authority, Aya?" He went straight to point – just as Aya expected.

Her heart clenched in her chest for a moment – she knew speaking up yesterday was going to be questioned. Tatara did not leave room for errors – whatever there was something or someone that could affect their cause, Tatara made sure to remove it. Right now, Aya's behavior yesterday was being questioned.

"No."

It was the simplest answer that she could give him – and that answer did not put Tatara at ease. The small dissatisfied groan that came from underneath his red mask told Aya that this conversation will become quite unpleasant for her. Tatara rose onto his feet, once again towering before without even being close.

"Then why did you question my choice with the one-eyed one?"

"Because I didn't see a reason why such potential ghoul should go to waste by Yamori's hand."

"Potential?" Tatara chuckled to her reason. "Don't make me laugh."

To Tatara, Aya was a valuable ghoul to have in the ranks of Aogiri Tree. He could not allow her to question his decisions or let herself think that she has the authority to make decisions without his consent. Tatara was the leader of Aogiri, direct subordinate of One-eyed King, he could not allow insolence within Aogiri's ranks. He could definitely not allow it when it came to the mind and eyes of Aogiri Tree – for Aya, he would make an extra effort in putting her back into her place.

"Was it compassion, Aya?" Tatara stepped forth towards her. "Did you feel sorry for such pitiful creature?"

Aya's eyes hardened. "No." She did not dare to speak more words that needed in the presence of Tatara – short and obedient will get her out of the room quicker than giving Tatara a piece of her mind.

But Tatara knew there was more on Aya's tongue that wished to leave her mouth. She stared up at him fearlessly – and it irritated Tatara as much as it made him proud. Aogiri needed strong leaders that did not tremble before the most terrible of foes. Aya was perfect leader in Tatara's eyes – but he didn't want to give her a chance to be arrogant with her talents. As long as he was alive, Tatara did not let anyone think they could replace him.

"Good." He leaded dangerously close, threateningly invading Aya's personal space. "Question my decisions one more time, and I will break you until you become nothing but a broken doll."

Expendable. Every member of Aogiri Tree was just a pawn in a very large game. As much as Aya was important to Aogiri's cause, she was no less expendable. Removing her from their ranks would weaken Aogiri's strengthen, but there was always someone else that could replace her. Tatara kept a dangerous eye contact to her, watching her standing still and strong, holding back every itch on her body that told her to yield before the stronger ghoul.