Chapter Twenty-Two

Leif bounded up the steps of the main entrance to Esther's apartment. He was eager and impatient. He was enjoying his assignment and gave thanks once again that he hadn't had to go to Turkey. Tel Aviv was proving to be unexpectedly agreeable. Esther's doppelganger was charming and remarkably enthusiastic. Maybe he could find a way to extend his time in Israel.

Faux Esther was an architecture student, and he had been able to get closer to her by giving her advice with her designs. It was a situation that was working out perfectly for everyone involved.

He punched in the code to the building's door and swung it open just as a group was leaving. He stepped aside and let a man and woman step through, followed by another man right behind them. The woman eyed Leif as she brushed past him. The second man looked through him as if he wasn't there. Leif swerved past him toward the doorway when he felt a sharp sting low on his torso beneath his stomach. He swept his jacket aside to investigate as the stinging melted into an intense burning. He scowled as scarlet billows spread like inkblots across his shirt.

Someone grabbed him, yanking fistfuls of hair from behind and pummeled him headfirst into the building's stone façade. Leif managed to turn and see the third man blur out of the corner of his eye before his head cracked with a loud snapping sound against the stone. His ears buzzed, and the air swam in thick waves as tiny pricks of lights danced in front of him. Before he had time to clear the fog from his head, Leif swung awkwardly around, grabbing the man by the shoulder. The building and ground pitched and swayed as he spun. He thrust his elbow into the man's face, shattering his nose. The man's knees give way. In the next instant, he wrapped his hand around his attacker's neck and buried his face into the stone railing. The man sank into a heap of meat on the ground.

The second man charged. Leif stood his ground, thrusting the palm of his right hand upward, connecting with the new attacker's jaw, using his momentum against him. The man flew back and slid down the steps. The man groaned, and Leif had to lean against the railing for support as the earth slipped and swayed in bilious waves. He swallowed down a wave of nausea and looked up when the woman growled.

She stepped toward him, pulling a small pistol out of her bag. Leif grunted as two bullets dug into him. The sound of the gunshot met his ears long after he felt the metal rip into him. Blood pooled into his lungs. The muscles in his legs tensed and sprang as he lunged toward her, tackling her to the ground. He heard a sharp crack as her head connected to the pavement. She lay still for a second or two before squirming away.

Leif climbed, dragging himself up against her body, then wrapped his long fingers around her neck and squeezed. She kicked at him, writhing clumsily. Her right hand began searching, scratching at the ground for the gun while her left hand pulled futilely against his fingers. Leif squeezed harder. Her heart skipped and shuddered, slowing irregularly before falling way altogether. He held on a few more seconds before pulling away.

He felt something snatch at his ankle. He rolled over on top of the woman and kicked the second attacker in the face. The man fell back, and Leif staggered to his feet. Leif swayed drunkenly and hobbled to the building's door. He had to punch in the code to open it. Behind him, the man groaned and stood up. Leif thrust his shoulder against the door and flung himself into the building's foyer. He slid a few feet along the tile. The door was closing on its own, slowly. The man stumbled up the steps. Leif's heart thundered in a cold panic. The door was taking too long to close. He kicked his feet out in front of him, slamming the door and locking it shut.

He didn't know if the man had the code and didn't wait to find out. He rolled over, letting out a wet and haggard groan and pulled himself to his feet. He scanned the first floor, his thoughts ticking away the seconds. He walked halfway up the steps, smearing spots of blood along the banister before doubling back down the stairs. His breathing was rattled, wet, and sickening.