Chapitre 4: Poe goes rogue

1

Poe was sitting in front of Leia in the command room. Everyone else had left after a disappointing go-no-go meeting on the cargo raid - how were they supposed to win a war with such overcautious leadership, thought Poe - but Leia had asked him to stay...

"We desperately need those starfighters", she said grimly.

Poe pursed his lips. He had hoped she was going to go against the majority, side with him, but it seemed the surrounding wariness had taken over her too.

The last report from the spy droid at the shipyard on Corellia gave them more details on the shipment that was going to launch that very evening: 47 starfighters, including X-wings, A-wings and a dozen of Y-wings bombers. Even if only a few of them could fly, the rest would serve as spare parts and by the look on the chief mechanics' face, that was as valuable as a new fleet.

This had been the good news. The rest was... complicated. The ship was an Imperial Freighter, Gozanti-class - It was no secret that the First Order had salvaged any remnant of the Empire they'd lay their hands on - and of course it came with a battalion of First Order stormtroopers and a squadron of Tie-fighters.

"Most of our new leadership thinks the odds are against us", said Leia. "That we need to find another way to put our hands on fighters. One that doesn't mean taking unnecessary risks."

"With all due respect, General", started Poe but she shut him off with a flick of her hand.

"I know, we can't miss that opportunity. But...You know how these people works", said Leia looking straight at him. "Some of them are here only because I insisted, and they are all afraid of what the First Order might do to them. I need to make them feel like their opinions are taken into consideration."

A spark of malice appeared in her eyes and Poe blinked with puzzlement.

"I can't give you a full task force", she kept on. " I can't even grant you an official go..."

Leia's smart gaze narrowed, still looking right at Poe whose own eyes suddenly widened.

"Are you asking me...to go rogue?", he asked bemused.

She gave him a sly smile and replied: "I've heard you're quite an expert."

Poe felt the blood rushing to his cheeks as he quickly tried to assess the implications of what Leia was saying.

"How many people can I take?"

"Keep it to the bare minimum. Chewie will come with you and you can take as many droids as you need."

Poe was thinking fast. Finn had to be part of it, there was no questions with that. Chewbacca would be a great asset, the Wookie was over 200 years old so he was as valuable for his knowledge than for his shooting skills. Poe was sure Kava and Jet would want to join the party too and...

"Rey is out of the question", said Leia before he could ask - it was one of those time he felt like she could read his mind like an open book. "I'm sorry but she needs to focus on her training and her absence would be too noticeable."

Poe scowled but he knew she was right.

"Fine", he sighed, "then I'll -"

"No, I don't want to know. As far as I'm concerned, you stole the Falcon and went on a mission I did not authorized."

"Backups?"

"I'm sure Lieutenants Connix and Tico will be happy to assist from here, but officially I can't promise anything", said Leia gravely.