Chapters 1 & 2

**revised and edited 8/28/17**

CHAPTER1

(Lady Juliette's POV)

Surrounded by soft seats and tinted windows, I'm already intimidated, not to mention overwhelmed.

My family are all fives, meaning that we don't have the time or money for such luxuries.

To say I'm excited is an understatement, but my primary emotion is nervous.

I have never even thought of talking to a higher caste without knowing them as family or friends.

The castes seven and eight have been removed, thanks to the lovely Queen America.

However, the fifth and sixth caste are still working very hard on low income.

Especially my family.

I'm a musician, who plays violin and sings, but I'm also a passionate dancer. Throughout my childhood, music helped me when times were tough.

Most recently was the selection, a time where girls have a chance to marry the prince, or in this case one of the twins. As exciting as it is for most girls, I was terrified to be chosen, simply because of leaving my family behind.

I remember watching as the thirty five names were announced on The Report, with a picture and caste number.

Faces and names glitter through my head as the nerves begin to take over. I focus on trying to remember, but I soon receive a headache instead.

I lean my head against the cold window as the grass and trees blur into a soft green, the driver turning one last time to arrive at my destination: the airport.

As I'm escorted inside the most massive building I've ever witnessed, I notice three girls standing at a gate entrance. From the pictures on The Report they seem to be Delilah Thomas, Ashley Farehaven, and Lydia Salford.

With shaking legs and a small, nervous smile, I walk up to the trio, waving politely.

"Hello," I say simply, since I'm afraid if I say more, my voice will give out on me.

Delilah speaks up first and responds with a joyful smile, "Hi you're Juliette, right?"

Sighing in relief that at least one of them isn't out to kill me, I respond with a nod, "You are Delilah, yes?"

"That's me!" She states, clearly more excited than I am to be here.

My eyes fleet over to the girl on her right, and I hope I don't mess up on her name.

"Ashley, correct?" I ask, biting my lip anxiously.

She shyly replies with a soft "Yes."

I smile in relief and introduce myself with a polite compliment, just like mother told me to do, "I am Juliette. It's very nice to meet you. By the way, I love your hair."

I wasn't lying. Her hair was a bright strawberry blonde, curled into cute ringlets that framed her freckles face adorably.

I finally turn to speak with Lydia, feeling a bit more confident in myself when she begins to speak first, "Don't talk to me, sweetie. The princes only chose you because they wanted to balance out the castes."