Life in Lafayette

"Mama, I'm going to work! I'll see y'all later!" Giving my brothers a hug, I head out to my jeep and head to the small ice cream shop in the centre of our small neighbourhood, on the outskirts of Lafayette.

It wasn't much but it helped pay for my own car, clothes and phone bill whilst I tried to work out what I wanted to do with my life. Unlike my twin, Addison, I hated being in the spotlight and could usually be found behind the camera filming instead of performing and modelling. She'd recently moved to LA with some friends she'd made on TikTok and I couldn't help but be slightly upset that I'd been left behind. From the start, we'd agreed that we were in it together, she'd dance, I'd take pictures and videos, edit, post and repeat the process, I thought she'd want me with her...I guess I was wrong!

But it's all okay here in Lafayette.

I have my parents, my two younger brothers, my best friends Macie, Abbie and Elle, the four of our are inseparable and I don't think I could've survived high school or college without them.

"Morning Lauren! How're y'all doing this morning?" I spoke as I entered the store, seeing Lauren behind the counter.

"Things are good! You ready to take over?" Nodding, I took my apron from my locker and slipped it around my neck before tying it around my waist. "It's been pretty quiet so you should be alright, I'll see you tomorrow?" I told her I would, that we could go for coffee and catch up, then let her get home to her little brother and pregnant mom.

Sunday's at the store were slow, very few people came in and this wasn't helped by the weather. A storm was passing through town, rain and heavy winds keeping people inside, very few leaving to continue their daily activities.

Sitting down on a stool, I pulled out my phone and began scrolling through TikTok, seeing multiple videos from my sisters account. This lasted for a while until I was forced to stop by the shop's bell ringing, meaning someone had entered.

"Good afternoon! Welcome to Scoop Shack, my names Bella, how may I help y'all today?" I greeted the customers without even looking up.

"Isabella!!" Looking up, I realised Macie was stood on the other side of the counter and I quickly ran from where I was sat to give her a huge hug. Abbie and Elle also gave me a hug before they all ordered their favourite ice cream, sitting at the table closest to the counter, we started talking about what we'd be doing when I had a break from work.

"Mom said I could go to LA for a while, shop, go to the beach and hang out with some of my old friends!" Elle spoke, she used to live in LA before she moved here 4 years ago. We'd all agreed that we'd go on a road trip to Los Angeles when we were at high school, now 19 and having more money than we'd had at 18, we decided it was the right time to go.

Telling them I could go as well, they started to talk about meeting up with Addison and her friends we were there, I just rolled my eyes, she'd barely spoken to me over the past month and I just wanted to leave it as it all was. "I think it should be us 4, I'm not really looking to be involved in her TikTok life!" They nodded, understanding how I felt and the conversation was changed.

After about an hour, the trio left and I soon found my family entering instead. My brothers immediately ran up and ordered a cone of their favourite flavour ice cream, whilst mom and dad entered with someone else. "Isabella, Addison is here!" Greeting my parents, I ignored my twin sister, I mean she'd been doing the same for the past month or so.

"And this is the exact reason we're moving to LA! You're twins, you've been best friends for 19 years, why are you ignoring each other now?" Rolling my eyes, I handed all of them their food and then started cleaning up the store, their eyes all on me.