Chapter One - Part 1

'We all think we can't stop what's going on. Don't we? Well...some of us think we can, we have the power to stop everything. Even time. But at least we would like to think that.'

To myself, I thought of what was possible. The teacher gave me the same lecture over and over again, as she stood before me. I stared out of the window at the modern city skyline outside. Thinking was never hard for me. Trying to understand what others were expecting, had always been a task.

Ringing of the last bell, flowed down the school hallway towards my ears. I raised my tired head off of the wooden top of the desk. For some reason, no one even knew what today was?

Students, who I never decided to introduce myself to, joke around with each other as I walk by. They talked about their day, like it was the end of their world. Only if they actually knew what today had in stored for them. They would probably have stayed home.

Today was the day the people in the city would hate for the rest of their existence. But I'll explain that later. For now, I'll say, it's not a happy story.

Reaching the end of the hallway, I made my way down the staircase. I heard the echo of each step in my ear. They sound like they would be my last.

Touching my foot on the last step, I let a sigh drift over my lip. Feeling the world around me, becoming cold. I reached my hand for the steel door handle. Pulling the door handle towards myself. The door opened for me.

I walked away from the school. Heading towards the sidewalk of concrete outside, I kept my hands drifting around my pockets. My mind drifting, hoping I would get far away from the school in time. I cared less about where I was going. Any place would be better than going back inside or to the place I called home.

Walking down the sidewalk, I felt less like a royal. The feeling of my shoes hitting the concrete was a feeling royalty never felt. Our luxury cars picked us up from the side of the street.

Driving us down the street pass those we thought were below us, made us feel powerful in a way. With all the money in the world, nothing felt out of reach. But for a life with it all, the people around you felt phony. I learned quickly what the price, they would be willing to pay, just for a taste.

But today is a crappy day.

Not for me. For those people living in the city. Those who we controlled their lives. We all believe in the same thing, back then. They had no idea, I existed among them.

The world was about to catch on fire. With a war in the distant, the media was hiding the truth. Everyone saw the shiny new products created to keep them entertained. A way for us to keep them from seeing the surrounding disaster.

I hated what my family had done to our people. We were killers. But to them, we were seen as saviors. Keeping them safe from the world outside.

Walking into a dark alley, no one could see me. I took my schoolbag, off of my shoulders. Unzipping my bag, I reached my hand inside. Pulling my laptop out of my schoolbag, I crouched down by a dumpster.

Opening the terminal on my laptop screen. I began to type away. Moving my fingertips across the keys, I went into the main system. Without a second thought, I started to send out a massive message.

Connecting to many devices over the network was simple. I closed my laptop and placed it into my schoolbag. Zipping up the zipper, I slipped my hand through the strap. Sliding my school bag back onto my shoulder, I reached for my mobile device in my pocket. Feeling untouchable, I moved my hand onto the keyboard on the screen before me. I tapped my fingertips away.