Prologue

Paige

Icy hands grasped my shoulders and ankles as I was lifted onto another surface. Fighting the sedation, I pried my eyes open as much as I could. The images were fuzzy, and voices unfamiliar. My vision was blurred, and I couldn't focus. My head spun like a tilt-a-whirl.

"Sir, was she conscious when you arrived on the scene?"

The ground rumbled beneath me as I was being wheeled.

"She's been in and out," a man's panicked voice replied.

"Sir, you can meet us at the hospital."

"No, I'm not leaving her." His voice was stern as his hand grabbed mine.

"How are you related to the patient?"

"Um...she's family."

W-who? W-what's happening?

"Fine, sir, you best come with us, then."

Doors slammed and sirens blared as we started to move.

Where am I?

My eyelids were pulled up, a bright light was shined in one eye and then the other.

"Are you with us, sweetheart?"

"Paige, her name is Paige."

A warm hand slid up and down my arm, comforting me, before holding my hand again.

"Are you with us, Paige?" My eyes opened to an EMT leaning over me.

"Yes." It came out a raspy whisper.

My memory came rushing back.

"Where's Ana?" Panicked, I tried to push my body up.

"Woah." A gentle hand pressed me back to the gurney.

"You need to lie back and let us take care of you. We'll be at the hospital soon."

An uncomfortable squeezing was increasing against my bicep. The blood pressure monitor tightened as the air was pumped through.

"Ana," I moaned.

"Your sister is gonna be alright," warm breath whispered in my ear before giving my hand a small squeeze. His voice was soothing. It calmed the trauma that was running through my mind in waves.

She's going to be alright.

I tried so hard to keep my eyes open. I needed to see his face. The man who saved me. Emerald eyes bore into mine with worry written across his fading face as the darkness took me back under.

"Paige, stay with me..."