six

**

A week passed in a blur. The new year approached with heightened glory, a closer gallop to the 60s. 1959, 14 years since the end of the second world war and the beginning to an era of peace, a suspension of hostilities, freedom from disturbance.

Being only 3 when the war began, Jeongguk's childhood had been filled with ages of blackouts, days spent in bomb shelters, nights spent crying with his mother because his father never returned from the war.

And now, 14 years later; Jeongguk still hadn't found that peace that the world rejoiced with.

Jeongguk refused to leave his house because he felt far too cold; although he'd never been one to fear the winter, now it was his worst enemy. He blamed everything on the winter. His uneasy stomach. His cluttered mind. His cheeks which seemed frozen in a state of flames. All because of the icy, numbing, dark filled cold.

Jeongguk didn't know if he was describing the cold or Taehyung's eyes.

"What do you mean you haven't left the house in seven days? Dearest, you must go out! What did you do on the 31st? We always have parties, I apologize for not being there. Veronica told me Taehyung had some friends over- did you not-2 Rosie spoke over the phone, and Jeongguk's breath hitched, hands tightening around the black telephone.

"No- I-I went out to a pub with Jimin. That's all." Jeongguk spoke curtly, and Rosie sighed over the phone.

"Oh Jimin- he's- he's a good man. How are him and Aubrey?" Rosie asked.

Jeongguk gulped to himself. Taehyung had invited him that night, sent him an invitation by mail. Jeongguk hadn't gone, no, didn't think his presence would be necessary. Would Taehyung be cross with him for not attending?

"Jeongguk? Are you there?"

"Yes-" Jeongguk let out sharply. "And- I-I think the two had another falling out. Jimin doesn't seem to take a liking to her." Jeongguk said. Jimin was his only friend from law school, the only friend he'd care to spend any time with. All the others were too annoying or too vague.

"Why, Jimin doesn't seem to take a liking to any of the women he's with! Quite the philanderer." Rosie laughed, and Jeongguk's mind went brim.

Why doesn't Jimin take a liking to women? Was he, perhaps, too inclined to men? No, no, how ghastly to even think- however, Jimin does sleep around with several women and deem them all to redundant for his liking. Jeongguk began wondering how many men were inclined towards men. No- no it can't be a thing! It shouldn't!

"Jeongguk, you keep going silent, you must be tired. I-I don't want to give you orders- or-or tell you what to do, it simply isn't my place, but, dear, you must go out! I know the house must be an utter mess with books everywhere! That's okay, you aren't meant to do the cleaning about anyway. I should be there. Mother's really upset with me for leaving my husband for so long-"

"You must think I'm floundering without you, Rosie!" Jeongguk snapped. "I'm your husband, I can take care of myself. Stop thinking you have to be down at my feet all the time- it's so archaic," Jeongguk grumbled.

There was a pause, and then; "I-I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to upset you, I-I just- I apologize, Jeongguk. Please don't be upset with me. I-I was s-simply saying I-I should be there and- I'm sorry!" Rosie said, voice soft and frail.

"I-I shouldn't have raised my voice. I'll talk to you later, I'll leave the house to get some groceries and clean up a bit." Jeongguk said, and Rosie gulped. He could almost imagine her near to tears.

"A-alright. Goodbye." Rosie whispered, and then cut the call, putting her phone down.

Rosie was back in her maiden home, tears in her eyes, blonde hair in untidy curls falling onto her shoulders. She wiped her tears away, sniffling and flattening down her apron. She heard the door of the phone room open and saw Veronica walk in.