➝ xxiv.

EVANGELINE POUTED AS SHE STARED AT THE SNOW GLOBE

EVANGELINE POUTED AS SHE STARED AT THE SNOW GLOBE. She was bundled in a thick scarf and a heavy peacoat, her hands stuffed deep inside the pockets. There was an adorable little Christmas shop they went inside to browse at the items while her parents went to reserve seats for them in a restaurant.

"You should buy that," came the chirpy voice of Dorothy Walsh who sidled next to her. Her blonde hair was covered by her beret, her dimples showcasing with her smile — she's always been exceptionally fond of Christmas.

     Evangeline hummed noncommittally, cocking her head to regard the snow globe. It was a little larger than normal — holding a carousel inside that moved when you twist the gear below it. Artificial snow fell endlessly as a boy and a girl sat on the horses inside as though enjoying a day in the carnival.

"You ogle it every single time we come to this shop," Dottie said, keeping her parcel tucked under her arm.

It's true — Evangeline always stared at the snow globe each year she visits Canada for Christmas break. She'd debated buying it and giving it to Draco as a present since she was in her fifth year, but always thought against it.

"I don't know," Evangeline said, reaching out to trace the glass with a finger. "Should I? I mean — it looks gorgeous, doesn't it?" She sighed and turned to her best friend, nodding at the package she was holding. "What've you got there?"

Dottie grinned widely, her eyes lighting up. "It's for Pansy! She and her family are decorating the house tomorrow together with me, so I bought some lights, garlands, mistletoe and such." She had a mischievous glint on her eyes when she added, "I'm also having garden pansies delivered to her later tonight as one of my early Christmas presents for her."

     Evangeline rolled her eyes playfully as she laughed. "You and your presents — I'm sure she'll love it."

     Dottie reached to grab the snow globe, setting it firmly between Evangeline's hands. Staring directly into her eyes, Dottie said quietly, "I know why you want to buy this. And there's nothing wrong with doing so. Whether you give it to him when we go back to Hogwarts on January, or you keep it to yourself — you should go ahead and buy it."

Letting out a long, shaky breath, Evangeline nodded. "You're right," she said after a while, enclosing her thin fingers over the cold glass of the globe. "I can always keep it for myself if I won't give it to him."

Dottie beamed, giving her a thump on the back good-naturedly. " 'Atta, girl — go spend some Muggle cash."

She laughed, about to head over to the counter and pay for her newly acquired item, when the store's front door opened and the little bell jingled above it. An elderly Muggle couple entered with a faint dust of snow coating their jackets — the woman had an irritated frown on her face whereas the man had an amused grin.