62

Virgil turned back towards the camp the moment he saw the glow of the kingdoms lights make it all look like he's glowing. He hugged himself close as his body shook against the permanent chill that overcame him. Ever since Roman left, he's been falling fast. His body doesn't retain heat. His heart doesn't beat. He can hardly stand more often than not. And... Forget sleeping. Thomas tried getting him to take a short nap. The most Virgil got out of it was a good hour of just staring up at the sky. 

"Are the furies ready?" Thomas tensed at the sudden sound of Virgil's shaky voice and nodded. "Good. Have them meet me at the gate."

"Wait, what? Virgil, you can't go." Virgil frowned as Thomas's eyes started glowing blue. "You are far too sick. Your body isn't..."

"I want to make sure no one gets hurt. This is the first time they're 'attacking' without bloodshed. I want to make sure it goes well." Thomas shook his head as he took Virgil's hands in his. "I'm fine, Thomas."

"Virgil, you can hardly stand up. Please reconsider? I can go. I can keep them on task. You don't have to push yourself." Virgil just shook his head as he smiled painfully.

"I'm sending a message, Thomas. Only I can do it."

"And what message would that be?" Virgil's smile grew as he held his hands out. Thomas frowned seeing the pure black rosebud that began to form only to crash seeing it bloom already withered and decaying. "Virgil..."

"Pain, Thomas. My message is my pain." Thomas nodded with a broken heart as he stepped aside allowing Virgil to greet his creatures. The dark royal walked past hobs, gremlins, and goblins... Right past hellhounds, arachnids, and basilisk. Every creature and beast he passed bowed with mournful respect and understanding over the state their king was in. It was as in they could feel their King's pain as their own. 

"Hey, there pretty thing." Virgil lulled as he let his fingers brush through a dark purple, red, and orange furies feathers. She cooed and ruffled her feathers making Virgil giggle softly. "Such a pretty girl. I have a job for you and your sisters ok?" She nodded happily as Virgil stepped back with a soft smile. "All right. Let's go to Rosa then." The furries all took flight as Virgil sighed. A small nose nudged his hand and catching his attention. A small dark wolf sat with his head down and Virgil laughed as he ran his fingers through the fur. "Really, Thomas? You can't just let me go alone?" Thomas shook his head as Virgil nodded. "Alright then. Let's go."

"ROMAN!" Roman laughed as he was suddenly thrown to the ground with such force he didn't even see who it was. He didn't have to though. He knew exactly who it was. Remus clung to him tightly as he cried into Roman's shirt. "You're back. You came back. Don't ever leave me again, Roman. Please? Please don't leave me again. I know you didn't have a choice but... WAIT, YOUR EYES!" Remus jumped up only to see Roman smiling. His bright glowing green ones met with Roman's darker natural green eyes and he broke down more with happy tears. "You're ok. You're better now, right. Whatever Virgil did..."

"Virgil didn't mean to, Remus." Remus frowned as the two of them got to their feet. "Please believe me. Virgil isn't a bad guy. He's just..."

"He kidnapped you and held you captive against your will." Roman frowned as Remus's green eyes shined even brighter. "If you hadn't stopped him he would have attacked everyone at the border INCLUDING Logan and I. I care about him, Roman. I do. He was kind to me. I thought he cared about he too, but..."

"He does, Remus. He wanted to..."

"He hurt you, Roman." Remus shook his head as he turned and walked away. "I can't forget that."

"Virgil didn't... GAAH!" Roman groaned in annoyance as he leaned against the wall. "This is frustrating." Roman sighed as he looked out the window and smiled seeing the night sky. He had to admit... He missed seeing the stars. He in Rosa all the likes made it impossible but in the Darklands... There was no electric light. It was all moonlight and crystals. The stars filled the sky like this beautiful mosaic. He actually missed it. "Just get some sleep, Ro-..." Roman's eyes caught something flying and his heart dropped.

"ROMAN?!" Kai ran through the hall spotting Roman in the same state he was in. "Roman, it's a..."

"I know." Roman held his hand out narrowing his eyes in determination as Kai passed his sword over. "Furies... Fuck, Virgil. I can't keep defending you if you do this shit." 

"Are you sure it's Virgil?" Roman nodded as they started for town.

"He was adamant about keeping his creatures out of Rosa to keep them all safe. If they're here now..." Roman swallowed his pain as he steeled himself to fight. "... He's here for a reason."

"What's the plan?"

"Don't kill it." Kai froze up in shock as Roman frowned. "I mean it, Kai. Virgil loves these creatures as a king should his subjects. Do Not Kill It."

"It's a fury, Roman." Roman just smiled sadly making Kai's eyes go wide. "You care about them too."

"Call me sentimental but when you watch the man you love caring for them as if they are his children... You start to get attached."

"I cannot believe you." Kai laughed as he nodded in understanding. "Ok, I'll spread the word to not kill them. However, Roman... If our people end up..."

"I know." Roman's eyes darkened as he gripped his sword tightly. "Let's hope it doesn't end up that way."

"I hope your right about Virgil, Roman." Roman deflated as watched Kai run off to fight. Roman stared at his sword with growing anxiety. 

"I do too, Kai." Roman took a deep breath before calming himself down. "I do too."