The Lengthy Spinning

Start from the beginning

To distract her thoughts from the happenings in the subway, she diverted her eyes briefly to the rearview mirror. In the very back, she noted that Ether no longer had his head down. His right palm supported his chin, but his left arm was making tiny movements. Since (f/n)'s head rested on his lap, he most likely was combing his fingers through her hair. Another chill slithered through her when she thought of those nails gliding along (f/n)'s scalp. The action may be delicate, but it also easily could be deadly even though she was a hundred percent certain that the creature never would kill (f/n). After his display that evening, she had no doubts about the creature's feelings being sincere for (f/n), but the thought remained terrifying. Admittedly, she was happy not to be in (f/n)'s place.

Her eyes widened, though, when the creature's gaze caught hers. There wasn't hatred, bloodlust or kindness in his eyes in that moment. They simply held an indifference to her, but it wasn't the bored indifference of Callest that still carried hatred. It was a look that regarded her as another living individual, and they simply had caught the others' eyes at the same time.

In a way, it was odd. Deidre almost felt that she was staring at another human and not a human-eating being. Was he like that on other occasions too, or was it just because of what had happened that evening? She imagined that he must be tired too even though he healed. That healing ability of his probably still cost him his energy after all. When he broke his gaze with hers and peered back out the window, she returned her attention to the front of the car. The road was straight currently, and there were few other cars out. Personally, she expected a silence to spread over the interior of the car, except for the soft breathing and engine running, but she nearly jumped when she heard his voice. "Your team ... It's refreshing," he mentioned quietly.

At first, she didn't know what to say to him; how was she to respond? What did he mean by refreshing? Did they smell good to him or something? Her heartbeat quickened a little even though he had promised not to kill them. She believed him given how everything had transpired over the last several hours, but she stayed cautious too.

"Not like that," he clarified. Briefly, their eyes met again before his turned to stare out the window once more. "I mean that all of you work well together. You look out for each other." Her eyes stayed on him for a moment longer. Again, words escaped her, and she diverted her optics back to the road. "Back in the tunnels, a lot weren't like that. The last time team a few months ago especially wasn't like that." Deidre had a feeling that he was referring to those kids that had been on the news and had been found brutally killed. Slightly, she gulped, but he made no comment about her action.

"... You ..." She paused, not wanting to piss him off, but she heard him shift slightly on the backseat. Was he waiting for her to finish? Scared to check, she inhaled before she exhaled and continued, "You act like you didn't enjoy the tunnels. Nick ..." Her words didn't stutter, but they instantly stopped when the creature cut her off.

"I did enjoy them. I enjoyed playing with my victims and my regular feasts." A slight, quiet giggle parted from him. "They were good times." His lips downturned into a frown. "But, some of my victims ..." The creature's tone lowered before he paused. "... Well, they annoyed me. Others, their greed was so obvious that it was almost too easy to torture and kill them for my own delight."

Raising his left index nail, Deidre felt the blood drain from her face, but he made no other movement. "Nick nearly had a team like that." She furrowed her brows, but she didn't reply. "The blonde was so engrossed in discovering me and getting a thrill from it all that she didn't realize how much she had overestimated her abilities until it was too late, though; she brought me (f/n), so I suppose that I have her to thank in some capacity." A frown coated his lips again. "Brent was too obsessed with money, and I could tell that he was thinking of sacrificing (f/n) to me so that his life would be spared. Not that I ever would've spared his pathetic existence. That other one, Tora ... Tara, or whatever, liked to follow along until her well-being was at risk. If it weren't for the locked gate, she would've ditched her friends in a heartbeat."

Wondering why he was telling her all of this, she questioned, "I don't ..."

"You want to know why I'm saying this to you?" She nodded a little bit. "I don't really know, but I feel like I need to get some sh*t off of my chest or something like that." Briefly, his eyes looked down to (f/n), and she noticed fear in his eyes for a moment.

"She won't die." His head snapped up, and she winced at how terrifying the action was. "... She won't. We won't let her. But, that's why you're talking to me. It's distracting you from her condition, and you know that I won't tell the others about this." A reassuring nod from her further indicated that she wouldn't talk to them about it. "You also know that they probably won't wake up." That time, he didn't respond. Deidre released a sigh and forced herself to calm down. "Why did you say Nick's group was only nearly as bad, then?" She never had met any of them for obvious reasons, but she hadn't expected them to be like that. Then again, it was the creature's judgment, not Nick's, but he didn't seem to be lying. If anything, he held complete honesty in his eyes.

"Because of Nick." A scowl greeted his lips. "He cared for them, just like (f/n) cared for her friend, Laura. Nick wanted to film me too, but he didn't crack when things went sideways for them. He tried to hold them together, and he even helped my partner." Fondness coated his gaze when he peered down to (f/n), but it vanished when he looked back up. "Unfortunately, I'm probably still by her side because of him. I don't know if I would've kept her alive if she hadn't escaped the tunnels with him, and that ..."

"You would've regretted that." Just slightly, he nodded. "But, you wouldn't have known that you could get this close to her back then, so you might've not." He paused and looked almost shocked to hear her say that. "But, you shouldn't focus on that. That didn't happen." Somehow, she managed a smile despite who she was talking to and the conversation topic. "You're with her now."