Chapter 5

"Where are we going Mama?"

"To Beorn's.  He's agreed to help with some of your training."

"Why?"

Selene smiles down at Serena, who was looking up at her curiously.  "Well, your brothers had some training with him, so I thought it only fair that you get some too."

"Why?"

Chuckling, Selene scoops her into her arms, making her give a small squeal and giggle.  "Because he knows much more about what we are than I do, little wolf, and he's been a good friend for a lot of years now."

Serena thinks for a moment, watching in wonder at the world around her securely in Selene's arms, it only being the two of them.  She wasn't sure why, but she felt calmer out here, and as much as Thorin had warned her to be careful and to listen to her mother, Serena was more at peace than what she had been since she first turned.

"He's a wolf too?"

Selene shakes her head.  "No, he and his children are bears, but once, long ago, we used to all live as one, much like how the dwarves and men live at home today."

"Oh," Serena frowns a little.  "Then the darkness came?"

"Yes, but we don't have to talk about that if you don't want to."

Serena falls silent, remembering the tale Selene had told, still giving her chills, so she shakes her head.  "Can I sit on your shoulders Mama?"

Selene smiles and lifts her up, Serena giving a small giggle and for now, she could not worry about the world.

The journey to Beorn's was peaceful, with little trouble on the road and a brief stop for some more supplies in the Woodland realm, soon Selene was taking a deep breath in the open fields of Beorn's land.

Serena had been quiet, but Selene was relieved when she happily seemed to change into her wolf when Selene did, running together, and it made her feel a little better to think that this was was what she had needed.

When almost at Beorn's property, two large forms started to come towards them, Serena quickly whimpered and hid behind Selene, even as Selene shifted back, smiling at her comfortingly.

The two bears reached them and Beorn shift with a chuckle rumbling through his chest, his son shifting next to him, looking a little guilty.  "Apologies Selene, Bror thought that there were intruders on our land, he didn't know you."

"No harm done," Selene said, her hand resting on Serena's head as she shifted back and stood half behind her.  "And given the times, it could be better than to do so."

Serena looked up at Beorn with wide eyes, feeling incredibly small in comparison to him and his son standing next to him, and she was suddenly very unwilling to move from her mothers side.  She couldn't feel a threat from them, and Selene being relaxed helped a little, but there was something different about them.

Beorn smiles down at her.  "Hello little wolf, it is nice to finally meet you, you were quite the talk for a while here."

"Why?"  The question was out of her mouth before she thought about her, her face flushing and she buried even closer to Selene.

Selene runs her fingers through her hair.  "Because your brothers had to come here for a little while when I was having you, they were both very excited to meet you."

"Oh," She moves a little out.  "It's...it's nice to meet you too, Beorn...sir..."

Beorn chuckles and ruffles Bror's hair.  "Come, Hallera will have dinner ready and Grimbeorn, Eldbar and Eyvyn will be eagerly awaiting our return."