4. Another Year Older

New Years was around the corner,  and Levy had been tasked by Mirajane to buy decorations. Gajeel was stuck at the guild, repairing damage from one of his and Natsus fights, so Pantherlily accompanied her. Over the past few days, Gajeel had slowly opened up to her, though she could tell he was still guarded. From what he told her of his past, she couldn't blame him. There was one question she had been meaning to ask. " Hey, Lily." She turned to the exceed as he hovered beside her. " Do you know when Gajeels birthday is?" The exceed smiled, if a little sadly.

" He doesn't know." He said simply. "Eh?!" She gasped, nearly tripping. He chuckled. " He always told me he just marked the day that Metalicanna found him as his birthday. He thinks he's about twenty-two." Levy looked down at the pavement as she walked, her heart aching for her dragon slayer. " Did he ever say when Metalicanna found him?" The exceed chuckled again. " New Years day." She squeeked. His birthday is less than a week away! " Lily, we've got to throw him a party!"

"Levy, do you really think parties are a Gajeel thing?" He said quietly and Levy frowned. Sure he attended the parties that the guild threw, but she knew Lily was right. Gajeel didn't do parties. " What about just with the three of us then?" She asked at the smiling exceed. " After the New Years party we could back to your guys place, since no men are allowed in Fairy Hills." Lily nodded as he placed his paw on his chin, thinking. Levy gasped lightly. " I can make a cake!" She squeeled in delight. " I can come pick it up before the party so he doesn't see it before hand." Lily offered and Levy nodded excitedly.

After picking up the decorations for Mirajane, they made a stop to grab ingredients for Gajeels cake. It was well into the evening when they made it back to the repaired Guild. "Thanks so much Levy!" Mira said as she hugged the bluenette. Levy giggled, "Anytime Mira! If you'll excuse me, I need to get back to the dorms. Iv got some things I need to take care of." Mira nodded and waved her off. Thankfully,  Lily had Gajeel distracted,  so Levy made a run for the dorms with her goods in hand. Just two days until Gajeels birthday. 

New Years Eve arrived, and just before the party Levy was putting the finishing touches on the cake. She had found a dragon figure that had a candle inside, and when lit it looked like it breathed fire. " It's not Metalicanna, but it'll do!" Levy grinned to herself at her masterpiece. " It looks wonderful Levy." The voice made her jump in surprise as the exceed soared through her window. "Thanks Lily." She grinned as she set the cake in a box and tied it off. "Will you be ok with it?" She asked as he lifted it by the string holding it all together. "I will be fine. Gajeel will be here momentarily, so I'm going to make my escape." She giggled as she waved the exceed away before cleaning up and getting dressed.

In a silver sweater dress and black leggings, Levy was putting the headband Gajeel got her when there was a small tapping on her window. She smiled softly as she pushed the window open to look down at her dragon slayer. " Can I help you sir?" She called with a grin. He smirked as he snorted. " Yeah, I'm looking for a girl about yea high," He held his hand up to where the top of her head would be. "Blue hair, pretty smile. You know her?" He chuckled as her face turned bright red. " She'll be down as soon as she puts her boots and coat on." She called and he nodded. After closing the window, Levy nearly tripped over herself as she tugged her white boots and coat on before running down the stairs.

Once she was outside she took his hand, amazed as always by how completely his covered hers. The path to the guild was dark, and Levy made sure to stay close to his side, earning a chuckle from the man. "Don't worry shrimp, the shadows won't get ya." He said with a smirk as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders. She puffed out her cheeks but she couldn't help but smile as she wrapped and arm around his waste. " Cutting it close guys!" Lucy called as they entered the guild, thirty minutes to midnight. Every mage had made it back, the guild overflowing with booze and laughter. " We made it though!" Levy called with a grin as she tugged Gajeel towards the bar.

Before long the count down began to ring through the guild and Magnolia. "10, 9, 8!..." Levy grinned as she counted, Gajeels arm tightening around her. "Happy New Year!" The guild screamed, confetti and balloons falling from the ceiling, and fireworks exploded above the city. Despite the crowded guild, Gajeel lifted Levys chin, causing the girl to blush as he kissed her softly. Just like the first time, Levy was amazed by how soft his lips were and how gentle he was. The kiss was brief, and Gajeel grinned down at her still flushed face as she pouted slightly.

It was well into the morning, when the guild had quieted that Lily approached the couple. " Ready to head home Gajeel?" He asked. Gajeel huffed slightly, not wanting to leave his Shrimp. " Oh Levy, I got it all set. Can you come over for a little bit?" He asked her, and Gajeel raised an eyebrow. "Is that alright Gajeel?" She asked as she looked up at him. He shrugged with a grin. " Why not? Come on." He offered his hand to her as he stood and she grabbed it happily. The three walked in comfortable silence, the city already asleep from its celebration.

They soon reached a small house near the edge of the woods. The front lawn was neat and the house itself was rather cozy looking. Around the back, Levy could just make out the trees entering the woods and some were battered from training. Lily unlocked the door and immediately flew inside, disappearing into the dark house. As lights flicked on Levy followed the small exceed, as she did she looked around the house. She expected piles of metal and scrap lying about, but was surprised to find the small room clean. She wasn't sure if it was thanks to Lily, or if Gajeel lived neat. The room she followed Lily into was a tiny kitchen, and the exceed was lighting the dragon figure on the cake.

"Thanks Lily." She said with a smile as she picked up the cake and turned around. She headed back into the living room, where was awarded with a very shocked dragon slayer. " I asked Lily when your birthday was... And I didn't want to miss it." She said with a bright smile. She giggled slightly as his face tinted pink. " Happy birthday Gajeel." Levy and Lily said with huge grins. Gajeel gave a soft smile, one neither had seen before as he walked up to them. "Make a wish." Levy said quietly as she held the cake out to him. He chuckled quietly before quickly blowing out the dragons fire.

He gently took the cake from her hands and set it on a near by table, before pulling girl and exceed into a tight embrace. " I don't need a wish." He said quietly. " Iv got everything I need right here."

{Does anybody else think Gajeel has a secret brain? Like, he isn't just some bruiser, he does read from time to time?}