Part 3 Chapter 10 - Letters

"Dad, 

Hogwarts is huge! I never expected it to be this big! 

Yesterday was my first flying lesson and it was harder than I thought it would be. But the teacher, Madam Grimbsy, says I have real talent. She also says that she played Quidditch  professionally for a few years after graduating! I think that's really cool.

I have a friend, her name's Maria, and she's a muggleborn. It's funny, because she expected me to know where I was going for the first two days, but I'm just as lost as she is!  Now she seems to know exactly where she's going all the time, I wish I had a great sense of direction. The problem is that I hardly see her because we are in different houses. She's in Ravenclaw, so she gets to hang out with Nick. 

One question, has Aunt Queenie had the baby yet?! Is it a girl or boy? I hope it's a girl. 

Anyway, all's well on my end, please write back!

Elizabeth."

He stopped reading. The letter was intentionally missing information. Elizabeth was hiding the results of her sorting. Which meant that either she was humiliated, or frightened, or both. He idly drummed his fingers on the table, staring at the wall. He felt so alone, more so than he had felt after Tina died. 

"Newt, buddy? What's wrong?" 

"hmm?" 

"I know that look, I've seen it a thousand times, that's the look that you are worried and lonely and can't do anything about it." said Jacob, approaching him with a knife in one hand and a sausage in the other. "Don't pretend you're fine, just tell me." When he didn't answer, Jacob moved the cutting board to the table and sat down next to him. Then began deftly slicing the sausage into peaces, patiently waiting for a response. 

"Elizabeth sent a letter." 

"Yes, and?"

"She's happy."

"Good for her. Anything else?"

"She made a friend already, I didn't have any friends until my third year."

"And whose fault was that? Sorry to be blunt, but you are really spending too much time feeling sorry for yourself."

"I guess it was my fault, and I'm not-" He stopped and tried again, "I guess a have been lonelier than usual lately."

Jacob snorted, and grabbed the slices of the sausage from the cutting board. The sound of sizzling followed as the sausages hit the hot pan. A delightful aroma filled the kitchen. 

"Newt? Can you peel these potatoes?"

"Sure."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"My dear Elizabeth,

I'm glad to hear that you are happy and well. All is well on this end too, Aunt Queenie did have the baby, it's a girl! Her name is Samantha Esther Kowalski, and she is healthy and strong. 

I was wondering what house you are in, your letter was a little unclear about it. Are you seeing a lot of your cousins? And I'm glad you have a friend already! Also, don't worry about being lost, I was lost for three years! If you need directions, just ask the ghosts, they are more than willing to help out a student. 

If you do want to join the Quidditch team next year, that would be great. I missed my chance when my Herlaborm ate my broomstick, (not that I was any good to begin with)

One last thing, we haven't yet heard from William and Thomas, so next time you see them, tell them to write or their parents will be quite displeased. 

I love you!

-Dad"

Elizabeth threw the letter down on the barrel she used as a desk in the broom closet. She spent most of her time inside it, hiding from William, who had made it quite clear that he was ashamed of having a Slytherin in the family. Maria was kind to her, and they did homework together in the library on the weekends, but that was only a small comfort. Maria was cleverer than she was, and she enjoyed  learning. Every day she wished she was back home. She could see Samantha, and even Johnathan. She wished she didn't have to sleep in a dark hallway of a room, shared with such horrid people like that insufferable Stacy Bartlett, and despicable Brenda Brown. Who spent all their time giggling and pulling awful faces at her, The Slytherin Scamander. 

The letter made it worse. For now an image of home was flashing into her mind, her father, uncle and aunt together without her, and it made her sad. 

A harsh rattling startled her and the sound of a irritated voice filled the closet. "Students always locking the doors, arg, they never learn, never think of people who need to clean this place. humf!" Elizabeth got up quickly and wiped her tears on her sleeve, it would not do to see Apollyon Pringle, the caretaker see her in this state. The door was wrenched open, and a gruff but kindly face appeared in her vision. "What'cha doing in there miss?" he said, offering his hand to help her out. 

She refused the help. "Nothing." 

"Oh sure, that's what everyone else says. I don't believe anybody when they say that."

"Fine. I was reading a letter from home."

He nodded his head back and forth, considering her response, "Ok, good enough. Come out now, I have work to do and I need this closet open. Now shoo."

Elizabeth shooed as fast as she could. She would go to find Thomas and tell him to write home before she had to report them to his mother.