"Where the hell are you going looking like that?" My mom belted out, inspecting our outfits when we made our way into the living room where my mom was finishing a painting on a large canvas. She was an artist, and a really good one. Which is why almost every wall in our house was a mural. Some of nature, others of important people or symbols of music. None of our furniture matched and nothing was boring. All colors were bright and exciting, no creativity was lost. My hand prints covered the living room walls, my little kid footprints on the floor boards. My height tracker from when I was little was still marked beside the old, unused TV.

"Jake's party," I replied simply. It was probably easier to just lie to her and say that we're just playing dress up and hanging out with a few friends, but I never picked up a talent for lying to my mother. I've never been able to do it. "I know that I look ridiculous, but it's Anna's fault."

"With alcohol?" She asked with raised eyebrows.

"Yeah, but I'm not going to drink. You know me," I said, again, truthfully. I couldn't stand the taste of alcohol, it burned my throat and gave me a headache the few times that I've tried it.

"Paisley, can I tell you something?" she asked, standing from her easel and walking over to me while Anna made her way and gently sat down on the bright red paisley couch. My mom said it was the inspiration for my name. Personally, I hate the pattern paisley, but it's a pretty name, I suppose.

"Go ahead, Mom," I said with a small smile. Her bouncy blonde hair cased her concerned face with her big blue eyes popping out at me. I must of gotten all of my traits from my father, which I wouldn't know because he left us when I was just six.

"You're better than that stupid teenage drinking, you hear me? You're gorgeous, and you're so, so smart. You're good enough to say no, okay?"

"I know, Mom," I said with a smile. "I won't drink, I promise."

She sighed. "But if you do, call me. No drunk driving, either of you," She said, loud enough for Anna to hear as well.

"No worries, Mrs. V. Paisley's driving home," Anna said with an innocent grin.

"You shouldn't drink either, Anna," My mom called, but we both knew it was hopeless. She'd given the same speech to Anna many times, but it never really made much of an impact on her.

I gave my mom one last hug before we left for the night. "Love you, Mom." I called as me and Anna went for the bright blue door that was spotted with puffy clouds.

"Love you, Jane!" Anna said with me.

"Love you too, girls," My mom laughed as I shut the door behind me. The night breeze hit my exposed body quickly, but it was a nice Indiana summer breeze. It felt nice.

The drive to Jake's large house was short and filled with Anna squealing with excitement that she actually got me to come to one of these stupid teenage ragers. I was starting to regret my decision.

When we found a parking spot, I could hear the music pounding a block away. Our heels tapped along the sidewalk as we walked up to the lit up house. Every light in that huge house must have been on, and my first thought was wondering what their electric bill must look like. Jake's family was really rich though, so I'm sure it was no matter to them.

"This is going to be amazing!" Anna tugged on my arm as we walked.

I laughed and rolled my eyes but let her drag me into the house. The volume of the music boomed in my ear drums and the temperature level raised to a suffocating high. I immediately wanted to leave, but tried to get into the spirit of things because I knew that the night was just beginning.