A Broken Road- 17

“Martin Scorsese.”

“Not a fan.”

“Okay, well what about George Lucas?”

I shook my head and crinkled my nose.

“Star Wars? Come on!” Alex yelped incredulously.

I laughed, throwing my head back into the pillows. We were laying on my bed, under the covers as we discussed famous directors and movies. That’s basically all we’d done all week, lay around the house and do random things. I mean, sometimes he’d go out with his friends or I’d go out with Kelly or we’d go out with Kelly and Danny together, but most of the time, we stayed home and ate whatever, and lazied around. I was glad to finally have a friend here and it was a relief to know that it was somebody like Alex. He never pressured me into telling him anything. If he asked me a question that I didn’t want to answer, he let it go. But if I wanted to tell him something, he’d listen.

“Well, what about Spielberg? You have to love Spielberg, everyone does.”

“Not me.” I laughed. “I mean, I liked Jaws, but I think that’s it.”

“E.T.”

“Never saw it, the thing creeped me out and I’ve never been a fan of Drew Barrymore.”

“Poltergeist?” Alex asked as we stared up at my ceiling.

“Nope.”

“You’ve never seen Poltergeist?” He asked incredulously.

I chuckled at his animated expressions. “No, I haven’t.”

“We’re watching that. You poor, poor depraved child.” He sighed. “Okay, but what about The Gremlins?”

“Are you kidding?” I scoffed. “I watched about five minutes of that movie and had nightmares for a week.”

“Alright, I can see that. You’re a wimp.” He teased.

I lightly pushed him before speaking. “But Saving Private Ryan wasn’t a bad movie. It was gruesome, but it was alright, I guess.”

He put his face in his hands before speaking as if my words were giving him a conniption or something. “Okay, I swear to god if you say you’ve never seen this one, I’m going to tape you to a chair and we are going to just sit down for a whole day and watch movies.”

“Okay, let’s hear it.” I said, preparing for the name of his sacred movie.

“The Goonies.” He said, looking at me like I had the power to ruin his whole life with my reply.

I shrugged innocently. “Sorry.”

He groaned and shook his head, sending vibrations through the pillow. “You’re impossible. So, painfully impossible.”

“I used to love Back to the Future, though.” I chirped, trying to help him cope with my inability to understand his fascination with Spielberg films. “And Casper. I loved Casper too. He was my best friend from ages three to five.”

Alex grinned at me. “Okay, I’ll give you those.”

“But don’t hate me when I tell you that I haven’t seen any of the Jurassic Parks, Men In Blacks, or Transformers.”

His jaw dropped as he gaped at me before turning and moving to get out of the bed. Before he could get far, I lunged over the bed and wrapped my arms around his waist, pulling him back into the bed  with a loud squeal.

Alex erupted in laughter until somehow, I pulled him back with too much force, causing him to topple over and knock me off balance. In the end, I ended up laying on top of him with our faces inches apart from each other.