“ADRIEN AGRESTE!” Her eyes locked onto his and she began marching purposefully towards him.

“Uh, yes, A-Alya?” he nervously replied. “That girl is terrifying.”

“How dare you plan you asking Marinette out without me! ME! HER BEST FRIEND!” Marinette rolled her eyes and held Alya’s shoulder. She shot an apologetic look at Adrien and steered the fuming girl to her seat.

“Hey, how about I sit next to the brunette,” Nino joked nervously. When Alya’s furious eyes snapped to his, he paled and put his hands up. “Sorry, sorry.” Alya opened her mouth to retort back but before she could, Nino pressed his lips to her. It became pretty passionate quite quickly and both Marinette and Adrien were blushing. They knew how intense Alya and Nino’s PDA could be but still. They eventually broke away and Alya was rendered breathless, not being able to shout at Nino. The DJ smirked at Marinette and shooed her away from her usual seat, prompting her to sit next to Adrien again. “Go on dudette. Go sit with hot stuff. No homo though.” Marinette smirked back and went to sit down.

For the rest of the week, Marinette sat next to Adrien, joking around and whispering to each other during lessons. Thursday came and both teens were excited at the prospect of their date the next day. Marinette slid into her new place and smiled at Adrien. Again, they were pressed closely against each other and Adrien’s hand rested on her shoulders. “So, princess, did anything special happen over the weekend? You seem to have had a permanent dopey grin on your face for the past week,” Adrien teased with a small smile when they got the work.

Marinette grinned, still facing the worksheet, and replied, “Oh no, I was just asked out by the hottest and most perfect boy. Nothing much, you know.” Then her mind caught up to what her mouth was saying and she immediately blushed and turned to face Adrien’s red face. “U-uh what I ignore said just- NO I m-mea-” She was cut off by a finger on her lips.

Adrien leaned in and whispered softly, “Over the weekend, I landed a date with the most incredible girl in the world.”

Marinette’s blush grew stronger and she timidly replied, “You don’t mean that.”

“I do. You’re my princess and I intend to keep it that way.”

Marinette smiled softly and thought, “He’s so possessive but it’s kinda endearing. It’s almost like-,”

She was once again reminded of her feelings for Chat Noir. Her face fell and she pulled away from Adrien’s reach. Adrien’s grin disappeared and hurt crossed over his face. He felt a tap on his shoulder and turned to see Alya looking curiously at him. “What happened?” she mouthed. Adrien shrugged noncommittally and turned to finish his work.

The day passed and Marinette said nothing else to Adrien, leaving him confused and gloomy. At the end of the day, when Alya asked what was wrong, she just shrugged and walked silently back to her house. Adrien watched her leave despondently and trudged to his car. When he got home, he threw his bag onto a couch and sank into his bed. “Hey!” Plagg grunted and flew out of the bag. When Adrien didn’t reply, the black kwami muttered, “I still exist! Don’t neglect me because your girlfriend is moody.”

“She’s not my girlfriend, Plagg!” Adrien yelled, irritated, and stood up. “I just-,” he sighed and sank back onto his bed. “I don’t understand, Plagg. Sometimes, when we’re joking around like we usually do, she just pulls away and acts like she’s indifferent. Do you think it’s me?”

Plagg flew silently to his shoulder and rubbed his head comfortingly. “She probably just has some things to work out.”

Adrien nodded dejectedly. He grabbed his phone and opened Snapchat. Marinette was at the top of his best friend list, obviously named as Purrincess and he clicked her bitmoji. He hesitantly began to type a message.