Chapter 6 - Vain and False

Start from the beginning

Emilie always knew how to make their son laugh, cheer him up and he was down. She was perfect. What would she do in a situation like this?

Thinking of his wife made Gabriel's heart ache, almost as much as Adrien's. But he had to think of her. He needed to help Adrien. So he designed a plan.

Adrien

Adrien was arriving at home. The iron gates of the main entrance were already visible, as well as the big white lime wall around the totality of the Mansion. It always looked bigger from the outside than it is from the inside. Adrien always found it odd but there was no sign of an extra room by his father's office, so he just cleared his mind of such thoughts. He would need total concentration to seem positive and alright.

He ringed the bell and the eyeball shaped camera appeared, staring at him. After a few seconds, the gate opened and the magic eye of the Agreste's Mansion returned to behind of his of dark eyelid. His service was no longer requested.

Adrien walked in with the croissants on his hand. They were still warm and the smell was so delicious Adrien felt tempted to eat both before entering home, but he couldn't. He needed his father more than he wanted to admit.

Either due to the misery and self pity he was feeling or due to be waiting everything and anything today, Adrien wasn't surprised to see his father open the door by himself.

Adrien used all his knowledge of fake smiles to pretend he was alright, but either he wasn't that good of a model or his father was a true expert of discovering fake emotions because he didn't buy it. He knew something was off.

As they walked back to the dining room, Gabriel looked at Adrien with deep eyes, like if he was thinking of what to say or gaining courage to say it.

"I see things weren't as you planned." finally said Gabriel.

"Is it that obvious?" asked Adrien to himself. Apparently it was, at least for a suddenly caring father like his. But as long as it kept that way, Adrien was fine. There were loads of girls out there, right?

No. No there weren't. At least not like Marinette, that had all the qualities of Ladybug and also cared about him. Like a gift from God to the mankind. One of a kind.

"I told Marinette that she was picked to be your intern." replied him "She was really excited and accepted right away. I  also invite her here tomorrow but she declined."

"And I see you didn't invited her just as a friend." said Gabriel smirking.

"N-NO!!! W-we're just good friends!" stuttered Adrien.

The lie was starting to grow heavy in his chest. Each time he said it, it was like a piece of metal was being put inside his heart, blocking it to pump blood to his body. Blocking him to live.

Gabriel sighted. He looked like he knew what was going on inside Adrien's head. When did he became such a good father?

"You know what?" asked his father "Take the rest of the day off. You deserve it."

Ugh? First detention and then vacations? Something was really wrong with his father, and Adrien started to worry.

"N-no, there's no need to su..." tried to say Adrien.

"Yes there is." interrupted Gabriel "I was your age once, and your mother did say no to me a couple times before she said yes. Now, go. Before I change my mind."

A slight smile could be noticed in Gabriel's lips if you have enough imagination. For Adrien, that talk was everything. He felt so much better.

He walked to him room and let Plagg out of his jacked. The poor kwami had to fly after him hidden because Adrien forgot him in the bakery and was almost catched by Marinette.

Marinette, Marinette... How could you do something like this to your Prince? To your Kitty? Oh Marinette Dupain-Cheng, how was your pure heart currupted by Luka?

Adrien was thinking of how to solve this situation. The most crazy plans crossed his mind, but none of them was actually going anywhere but the garbage bin.

Pling

What in the world?

Pling

Adrien was burried so deeply in his own thoughts he didn't even recognize the sound of incoming messages of his own phone.

He rushed to it, thinking that it maybe was Marinette texting him. But no, it was Kagami.

Kagami was inviting him to catch a movie next day at six. Adrien did need something to forget Marinette, so... Why not?

He texted asking where should they find each other, to what Kagami answered they should meet at Pont des Arts. What an incredible and unknown coincidence by our dear Adrien.

He answered he would be there. Who knows? Maybe Kagami could help him forget Marinette and Ladybug. It didn't have to be a permanent solution, maybe just a one time thing.

Oh poor Adrien, so much you say and so little you know, but soon you'll understand how every word you've just thought is vain and false.