The Road to Dezmer - Twenty

Start from the beginning

"Dezmek!" Pendaer squawked. "Get off of him this instant!"

"Make me," Tracou replied like a true adult.

And so Pendaer did. He grabbed Tracou around the middle and pulled him into his lap instead. Tracou now sat side saddle on Pendaer, absolutely flabbergasted by this turn of events. Pleased with himself, Pendaer nodded to Mirthal as if to say that he had taken care of the problem. Unlike Tracou, who was flushed only in certain places, Pendaer's entire face glowed red.

Something ugly surged in Mirthal's chest. How dare Pendaer of all people force Tracou into his lap. How dare he even touch him! It was one thing to lose Tracou to a woman, that was the way of things, but the idea that Pendaer might have Tracou instead brought him to a boil. Pendaer, who had nothing but bad things to say about Tracou. Pendaer, who had hurt Tracou. Pendaer, who was below him!

"Let go of me!" Tracou cried once the shock wore off. He tried to get out of Pendaer's grip, but the elf held him firm.

"Would you stop squirming?!"

"Unhand me!"

"I won't! Someone has to protect the prince's chastity from a dezmek harlot like yourself."

"Harlot?! You can't call me that in my own home! Get out! Go sleep in a barn for all I care!"

"Make me!"

"Pendaer," Mirthal said, the word like a felled tree hitting the ground. "Let go of him."

The sound of Mirthal's voice made Pendaer flinch. Seconds ticked by as the two elves eyed each other, but Pendaer had no choice. He let go of Tracou. Mirthal then pulled Tracou back towards him. Once he was safely in his lap, Mirthal loosened his grip on him so he could position himself as he pleased.

"You're making a mistake, your highness! All of the queen's efforts will be wasted if you—!"

"I don't want to hear it, Pendaer. Get out."

The words were so heavy that they created a nearly physical wall between the two elves. Shoulders hunched, Pendaer got up off the couch. He gave Mirthal and Tracou one last look, alternating between mortified and furious, before he slunk out of the room.

Hearing the door click shut allowed Mirthal to release his fury. Mirthal sighed, resting back on the bench. Tracou took this as a sign to straddle him again, leaning his upper body against him. His head rested on Mirthal's shoulder.

It was nice. There was nothing quite like the feeling of Tracou so close to him. It made his heart speed up, but it was comforting in a way he had never felt before. The only thing similar to it was when he would carry Tracou around. That had been something he had felt by himself, or so it seemed to him at the time. But Tracou had initiated this. Surely he had to feel something—he wouldn't do this otherwise. Right?

"Mirthal?" Tracou asked, his voice soft and warm. "Will you hold me?"

Swallowing audibly, Mirthal looped his arms around Tracou's middle. This made Tracou let out a pleased hum.

"Mirthal?"

"Hm?"

Tracou pulled back to look Mirthal in the eyes. "Why have you been so distant lately?"

"Oh..." Mirthal gave him an embarrassed smile. "I realized something."

"Like what?"

"Don't make me tell you, Tracou. You might hate me..."

There was a pause. Tracou's eyes searched Mirthal's, his pupils wide in the dim lighting he created in the room to help the elves feel comfortable.