Chapter 05 - Heard

It was a weekend. The weather was fair and Kita decided to head to the public library to study for their upcoming exams.

"Shin-chan!" the voice that he heard as he arrived in front of the library was unmistakable. Turning around, Kita saw L/n waving her hand as she smiled at him.

The captain, on the other hand, just looked at her. He noticed that she was wearing a f/c shirt underneath an unbuttoned cardigan paired with jeans.

"C'mon, Shin-chan, say something," she told him as she playfully pouted.

"I thought you're only following me during my morning run and afternoon practice," he told her as he never thought that he would meet her today.

L/n chuckled. "Well... I also didn't think that I'd see you here, too," she responded to him with a grin.

"You mean----------"

"Oh. L/n-san, you're already here!" Ginjima arrived. "And the captain's here, too!" he added when he noticed that Kita was with her.

"Hello, Ginjima-kun. Are the others here already?" L/n asked.

"Others?" Kita asked them.

"Well... The second years are having a group study and they invited me to join them," the girl honestly answered.

"Cap'n, if you don't mind, you could also join us. The more, the merrier!" the wing spiker told him.

"If not truly committed, the more people in a group study, the higher possibility of getting distracted from studying," Kita responded with one of the cons of the activity, making Ginjima jolt at how cold it was.

"If truly committed, the more people in a group study, the easier it is to ask about the lesson and it will broaden our knowledge," L/n retorted with one of the pros of the activity and the captain knew that he couldn't disgaree with that one.

Ginjima, on the other hand, was stunned that unlike the rest of the team, L/n could easily counter Kita's logic.

"So... Whaddya say, Shin-chan?" she asked with a smile. "Are you in," the girl did the volleyball signal for in, "or out?" and did the signal for out like she was a line judge but without the flag.

The captain couldn't help but notice that smile on her face was a hopeful one. It was clear that she wanted him to join them.

"Okay. I'll study with you guys," he told them and the two were glad upon hearing his reply.

As the group study progressed in the public library, it seemed like Kita himself was the one who was not truly committed in studying. It was ironic. He was reviewing the lessons and answering the sample questions, but his focus was somewhat divided.

A part of his attention was on L/n and how soft-spoken she was as she helped his underclassmen. Having a pen as her pointer, she explained parts of the lessons in a way that would be easy to understand. She was indulgent, fond of answering any sort of questions they had with a smile. She was having a good time... and seeing her like that was making him feel good.

"Thank you for helping us out, L/n-san," Kosaku told her after she grabbed her bicycle from the parking area.

It was already late in the afternoon and they finally decided to call it a day. They were standing in front of the public library, waiting for Kita to come outside as he borrowed books for his reference.

"Now, now. You don't have to thank me, Kosaku-kun. All I did was share some pointers, that's all," she responded.

"To think that the captain could teach very well... He's a good tutor, too," Suna remarked.