The Goenkas are worried

Days passed and Kartik, Naira had barely spoken to their families. They did come downstairs for dinner as it was an integral part of the family routine. Family dinners were usually fun but now they were just a mere formality. Kartik smiled faintly whenever Luv Kush tried to make him happy. Naira ate her food in silence, her eyes had a faraway look, after a moment or two she would snap back to reality and would smile sadly when others tried to cheer them up.

"Bhaiya-Bhabhi, aap dono ke first babies toh hum hai na" "Hum aap ke saath hi rahenge, aap ko kabhi chod ke nahi jayenge." "Pinky promise!, aap please smile karo na"  - Luv-Kush said innocently.

"Kartik and Naira were at loss of words, they smiled with tears in their eyes as they hugged them."

It was a real smile. 

It was after days the Goenkas saw them smile, they were worried for them.

"Bahut dino ke baad hum apne Kittu aur Naira ko itna khush dekh rahe hai"-Dadi said. "Thu-Thu-Thu"."Nazar na lage hamare bacchon ke khushiyon ko."

"Good night", they said in unison and left to their room. The Goenkas watched them go to their room. "Maa aapne unse baat nahi ki?"Manish asked with concern. "Haan hum kuch samay baadh karenge",Dadi said staring down at her salad.

"Naira tumne mujhe maaf kyu kiya?" he thought staring at her. " Itna sab kuch hone ke baad bhi, tum mere saath kaise reh sakti ho?". "Maine tumse jhoot bola hein, sabse jhoot bola hein aur phir bhi tumne mujhe maaf kar diya?"

She was curled up on his lap comfortably as he caressed her tresses. He felt her breath softly against his leg. She looked calm and peaceful, unlike when she was awake and pretended to be happy. He leaned back against the headboard of the bed and closed his eyes. It had been 8 days since his daughter left this world. They could have been a happy family but fate had other plans.

Dadi watched them silently standing outside the door. Manish had given Kartik some time off so that he can get better and join work, there seemed to be some improvement but he wasn't the same Kittu anymore. 

"Kittu beta,kya hum andar aa sakte hein?", she said knocking on the door. He opened his eyes and said " Haan, Dadi".

"Naira so gayi hein kya?" she asked looking at Naira. "Haan dadi" he replied robotically."

"Kittu beta hum.." she hesitated, fumbling with her hands nervously. "Hum kal havan ka aayojan karwa rahe hein, naira aur tumhare  sukh shaanti ke liye." "Hamari guruji se baat ho chuki hein aur tum dono ka wahan hona zaroori hein."

Kartik didn't want to attend any havan or pooja, he just needed some time to get better. He didn't want to talk about his feelings to anyone but Naira. He didn't like their looks of pity and sympathy, it did nothing but worsen the pain. He knew they were trying to help but this pain never really seemed to go away. He also knew that this havan was actually for his dead daughter.

"Nahi dadi havan ki koi zaroorat nahi hein", he replied. Dadi shifted uncomfortably and said "Kittu hum toh jaante hein ki yeh tumhare liye kitna mushkil hein" "Nahi dadi, aap nahi jaanti",he said nodding his head slightly.

Naira woke up as she heard dadi's voice. "Kya hua dadi?"she said suddenly getting up."Voh..", dadi started. "Voh kaira.. keliye havan karwana chahti hein", Kartik said. Naira turned to look at dadi who was staring at the floor silently wiping her tears.

"Hum aayenge Dadi",Naira replied with a small smile.