Would that happen to Rong too? Would he sleep forever?

"Qin Rong." The child sobbed, clinging to the faery's somewhat cold hand. He squeezed his fingers tight, wanting to warm them and awaken him.

Please wake up.

If Rong died then... What would he do?

"Ugh." A voice groaned above his head, making his heart nearly stop. With wary hope, he looked up and saw a beautiful pair of golden eyes staring down at him. "Xiao-Xan, you're crushing me, you know."

"R-Rong?!"

"No, it's the tooth fairy." He grumbled, trying to sit up. His body was in agony and he quickly gave up. He sighed. "Of course, it's me, who else would it be?"

"Rong..." Xander let loose a torrent of tears, his relief overwhelming the small child.

Rong was okay~

The mercenary flinched, having not expected to wake up to a blubbering child. What happened to greeting those who recover with a smile? Hadn't that been the norm?

"Ah, shit don't cry!" He plead, really out of sorts. He didn't know how to comfort people, especially children. "Didn't we have a man's agreement?"

"You almost died!" He shot back, sniffling.

"Fair enough." He raised his hands in surrender. He couldn't expect much else considering the situation. "I'll allow it just this once but after this, there's no leeway."

"Okay." He sniffled, trying to cry all the tears he'd been holding back. From the time he'd found Qin Rong to this moment, he felt like he'd been trapped in a deep hole. Every moment Rong stayed asleep, the hole would get deeper and the light above him grew dimmer.

He wasn't sure what he'd do if that light faded.

But it didn't matter anymore. Qin Rong was okay. He woke up and he'd be okay now.

As if to comfort himself, Xander climbed onto the bed and laid down beside Qin Rong, snuggling close with his head on the faery's chest. Hearing his heartbeat eased his fears and steadied his own heart.

He was here.

Qin Rong didn't push him away, knowing the kid was probably terrified and needed assurance. It was a bit heavy but he was the adult so how could he dare deny this kid. 

In a rare moment of kindness, he wrapped his arm around Xander, stroking his head. He was a bit surprised by how soft the kid's hair was. It was like petting a horse.

"Are you guys alright?" He asked after a few minutes of this, his body relaxing throughout the silence. "Where's Xiao-Ni?"

"He's outside playing." Xander replied sleepily. It was nice to be petted by Rong. "I told him hovering around you wouldn't help."

"And you could cry your eyes out in peace." Qin Rong snorted, mildly amused by the statement. "Smart move, Xiao-Xan."

"Don't tease me! I was really worried about you."

Seeing him puff up like that, he really did remind Qin Rong of an agitated horse. He chuckled at the thought.

"I know. I'm sorry for worrying you guys." He said earnestly. "I honestly didn't think I'd get caught like that."

They stared at each other for a minute before Xander laid back down.

"Who were those men?" 

"No clue. For some reason, they seem really keen on catching me."