The Butterfly

The bathroom door slammed open, releasing warm moist air into the bedroom.

"Put your dick away, Xiao Xan!" He called out, looking around the room. "We've got work to deal with."

Much to his surprise, he didn't spot Xander in the spot he expected. No, instead he was by the window, his arm extended out to the night air.

Qin Rong said nothing, watching his friend as he looked to have not noticed him despite him calling out. Curious, to come closer, wanting to know what he was doing.

His instincts said nothing dangerous but he was wary still.

On his outstretched hand was a serpent. No, it was larger and had wings.

Where had he seen...

Ah, it looked just like the dragon thing that he had seen years ago.

Qin Rong watched as it breathed fire onto Xander's outstretched hand. From the smoke, a rolled-up piece of paper popped out.

Like magic!

He wondered how such a thing was possible. What was that and what had Xander received?

"Are you just going to stand and stare, Rong?" Xander asked, not turning his back as the dragon flew away. All that was left of its appearance was the document in the prince's hand and the subtle scent of smoke.

Another question to add to the list. He thought, turning away from Xander.

"Just as you intend to ignore me." He shot back, sitting on the bed.

"You were trying to embarrass me," Xander replied, laying the document on the table as he drew closer. "Shouldn't I have ignored that, since we're friends?"

"Touche."

His declaration was a bit of a jest. They were guys so Qin Rong understood how inconvenient surprise boners could be. To ease the tension, he tried to poke a little fun at the man.

Yet to be ignored so effectively was a bit embarrassing. It just left him feeling awkward.

"So," Xander said, saving him from his own thoughts. "You were saying something about work?"

Ah, a reprieve!

He showed Xander the guys he'd caught when he broke in before. They had been hiding in the dark corners of the room, their attention focused entirely on the door. Since Qin Rong came through the window, he'd gone unnoticed until he struck.

"Are they spies?" Xander asked, glancing at Qin Rong as he dried his hair.

"Probably." It was a guess but the most probable. "No weapons but they had some drugs on them. Can't say what it does without a test subject but using them would be a waste since we need info."

He doubted they were sent to kill Xander. Their skills were minimal and seemed more geared toward restraint. Perhaps they were meant to incapacitate him for some other purpose?

"We can deal with them later," Xander stated, taking the towel from him. "The auction is more pressing."

"So how do you want to deal with them then?" He gestured to the captured spies. "Kill them?"

"Restraining them would be better in the long term."

Xander helped dry his hair as they came up with ways to keep these guys out of sight. There was a harmonious atmosphere around them as they discussed their next plan of action.

It felt strange how easy it was to talk business with Xander. There were times Qin Rong would think back to the kid that would cry and flinch at the mere mention of blood. Yet here he was, grown up and having slit a few throats himself.