He was no good at doing that kind of thing anyway.

Yet here he was, watching over a five year old running about the yard, calling out to him. How annoyingly cute this all was.

"Rong-Ge!? Rong-ge, come play with me!"

"Didn't I tell you not to make so much noise?" He chided, looking fierce as he spoke. Nik barely batted an eye as he ran past. "You're supposed to be in bed, remember?"

Nik was supposed to be pretending to still be in a coma but trying to keep a small child stationary when he wanted to play was impossible, no matter who it was trying to do it. Whether it was a hardened mercenary with hundreds of kills under his belt or a tired parent, there was no stopping this kid.

It's only at times like this that he acts his age. He thought, watching the kid run over to the tree swing he'd made a few days prior. Nik absolutely loved it, demanding to be pushed at all hours of the day.

Time for breakfast? No, push me!

Need to study? No, push me!

Time to go to bed? No, push me!!

The damn kid was obsessed with the thing. Had he not melted when he saw how much fun the two boys had with the swing, Qin Rong would have burnt the damn thing.

Still, seeing the two boys play together, Qin Rong had felt a bit envious, wishing he had someone like that when he was a child. Or even in his adult life. Someone to call a friend. He'd been alone for such a long time, perhaps it was just wishful thinking.

For now, he'd have to settle for these two brats.

Well, since he was on the swing now, perhaps he could get his examination done rather than later. Qin Rong was no doctor but he could at least do a basic check-up. While Nik showed no signs of being affected by the poison, Qin Rong wasn't about to allow himself to get lazy.

So every once in a while, he gave Nik and Xander a check-up. As he was very familiar with how poisons worked, he was good at spotting the signs of ailments.

Xander was easy, as he was very obedient and quiet. The drawback was that he fidgeted a lot when touched and was always flushed in the face. It was annoying when he had to take the child's temperature.

Maybe he was just naturally warm or something.

In truth, the main problem was with Nik. He was obedient and easy to work with so Qin Rong generally didn't mind looking over him. The only major inconvenience was that he was stuck with a very curious child. As Qin Rong did his checkup, a myriad of questions spewed from the toddler's mouth, one after another.

Why do you do that? What does that do? How come this thing does that but not this?

It never fucking ends!

The worse part was when they got stuck in a 'why' loop. It started out simple but after the fifth why, Qin Rong was getting to the end of his patience.

(AN: Anyone whose ever seen that Ed, Edd & Eddy episode with Johnny knows what I'm talking about)

"Oi, if you don't shut it soon, I'm going to knock you out so I can do this in silence." He snapped, wanting to scream. Any more why's and he'd have to explain the origin of the universe or the meaning of life and he was not drunk enough to open that can of worms.

"Can Rong-ge really do a thing like that?" Nik's eyes gleamed as he thought about all the things Qin Rong had told him about herbs and their effects. His little legs kicked with excitement.

"Would I lie to you?"

Nik shook his head. Qin Rong was a lot of things: vulgar, loud, and maybe a little scary but he wasn't a liar.