Chapter 67: Carry On

Start from the beginning

Marley: The heart wants what it wants, baby. 
Shana: It wants what it wants, baby.
All: It wants what it wants. 
Harmony: The heart wants what it wants, baby. 
Unique: It wants what it wants, baby.
All: It wants what it wants. 

"That was fantastic!" Will exclaimed as everyone clapped for them. "And a great segue into the next portion of the assignment. You've aired out your grievances and now it's time to patch up the wounds with the help of each other. Jake?"

Jake nodded and stood up, slowly making it to the center and not failing to notice the way everyone stared at his leg. "Don't worry," he told them. "This song doesn't require dancing." As Ryder helped him out by dragging a stool over to him, he explained, "This one goes out to Kitty. I can understand you and what you've been through, so I thought I'd sing something that I'm sure comes from all of us. Just thought I'd remind you that you have people who love you and who are evidently willing to take a bullet for you."

He took a seat carefully and gently dropped his crutches to the ground. With his leg outstretched, he gave the band the starting cue and began.

["Absolutely (Story of a Girl)" by Nine Days.]

Jake: This is the story of a girl. Who cried a river and drowned the whole world. And while she looked so sad in photographs. I absolutely love her when she smiles.

Kitty pressed her lips together into a smile, trying to keep herself from smiling. Jake had just been so sweet lately, so much that it was hard not to adore him. She only wished she could snap Julie out of her Sam-guilt for long enough to show her that.

Jake: Now how many days in a year. She woke up with hope but she only found tears. And I can be so insincere. Making her promises never for real. As long as she stands there waiting. Wearing the holes in the soles of her shoes. Now how many days disappear. When you look in the mirror. So how do you choose?

Ryder turned his eyes from Jake to Kitty and then to Julie. Something was definitely up. He had heard that Jake and Julie had split the same day that he and Carrie had, but he thought it all to be rumors. Now, however, it was obvious that they had. But why?

Jake: Your clothes never wear as well the next day. And your hair never falls in quite the same way. You never seem to run out of things to say.

Amity turned to Alex and gave him a random kiss on the cheek. He turned to her and smiled briefly before turning back to the performance. She was incredibly proud of him for going from a shady guy with a smoking addiction to a confident, amazing friend to everyone she cared about. It was really an amazing transformation.

Jake: This is the story of a girl. Who cried a river and drowned the whole world. And while she looked so sad in photographs. I absolutely love her. When she smiles.

As Jake sang, Stefan patted Ryder on the back, thankful to still have his friendship. Julie saw this and hoped that maybe Jake could take things the way Ryder had. Or at least like, Marley, who he was still friends with. And there she was, sitting with Bree and smiling as though they'd always gotten along perfectly.

Jake: Now how many lovers would stay. Just to put up with this shit day after day. Now how did we wind up this way. Watching our mouths for the words that we say. As long as we stand here waiting. Wearing the clothes or the soles that we choose. Now how do we get there today when we're walking too far for the price of our shoes? 

Kitty smiled, knowing she couldn't have asked for a better healing song. Jake was really one of her oldest and closest friends, and she'd do anything for him. She wished she could've maintained that relationship with John and Artie and, God forbid she and Vince ever broke up, with him, too.