Chapter 4 (Episode 4)

Episode 4

Jung-hyuk travels with Se-ri to meet the ship that's supposed to take her home, but before they can make the switch, the North Korean coast guard boards their boat and they're forced to hide in the hold. The new coast guard chief refuses to be bribed and orders the hold opened, and when he does, he sees Jung-hyuk and Se-ri employing the (supposedly) South Korean method of getting out of trouble — kissing.

Jung-hyuk shows the chief his credentials and explains that he was just taking his fiancee out for some night fishing (and a little pre-wedding get-to-know-you fun, according to Se-ri, hee). It works, and the chief lets them off the hook. But he tells them to head back to shore immediately, making Se-ri miss her chance to go home.

She's furious, but she decides to stay positive and just think of herself as temporarily lost. She tries to make Jung-hyuk promise to get her home within a week, but he says a "sea control order" has been issued and won't be lifted for around two weeks. Se-ri snaps that she just wants to be comforted, pointing out that Jung-hyuk has no problem lying when it gets him out of a scrape like claiming her as his fiancee or kissing her.

Poor Jung-hyuk stammers that she told him to do something, and he's flustered when she says it wasn't much of a kiss, ha. He's completely defeated by Se-ri's illogical logic, but he still refuses to make promises he can't keep.

Before dawn, Jung-hyuk hears his gate slam, and when he checks the living room, Se-ri is gone. She takes her paragliding equipment (the ducklings salvaged it previously) and hikes to the top of a mountain, intending to try and paraglide home.

Before she launches, Jung-hyuk catches up to her. He tells Se-ri that she landed here because there was a natural disaster, but it's a clear morning so she'll be seen and caught. He belatedly realizes that her walkie-talkie is on, just as Chul-kang arrives at the State Security Department and is informed that a suspicious transmission has been pinpointed.

Knowing that it will only take a few minutes for the authorities to arrive, Se-ri tells Jung-hyuk to stay here while she goes down and turns herself in. Jung-hyuk points out that he'll be in trouble anyway since they think he's her fiance, so he looks for another way out. He can see the military vehicles approaching, so he grabs Se-ri tightly and throws them both off the edge of the mountain.

Se-ri's parachute catches, and they gently float together through the air. Se-ri apologizes for taking her frustration out on Jung-hyuk earlier, and thanks him for everything he's done for her. By the time Chul-kang arrives at the mountaintop, they're long gone.

Chul-kang goes to his office and calls Man-bok in to ask what he knows. Man-bok hasn't heard anything strange, but Chul-kang still feels that something is off with Jung-hyuk and Se-ri, and he gives Man-bok some money to buy extra food for his son to entice him to keep spying on Jung-hyuk.

Man-bok goes to buy meat from the butcher in the marketplace, and while he's waiting, he overhears Jung-hyuk arranging to order coffee beans from the vendor at the next stall. Man-bok's wallet is stolen as he's paying, and Jung-hyuk begins to chase the thief while everyone else is still processing what happened. Unfortunately, the thief leads Jung-hyuk right to the local gang's hideout, and Jung-hyuk finds himself fighting the entire gang alone.

He does a pretty good job, and even pins the gang leader to the ground. He doesn't see another gang member sneaking up behind him, but luckily, Man-bok arrives and knocks the gang member out. They get out of there, and as Jung-hyuk walks away, Man-bok pulls a small piece of paper from his wallet.

The ducklings sit at Jung-hyuk's house with Se-ri, who's still so upset about missing her boat that she stuffs her face with rice crust and sugar, complaining that back home she's infamous for eating like a bird. She cheers up when Joo-mok tells her that Jung-hyuk asked them to protect her, taking it as a sign that he likes her. Chi-soo says it's because she's a troublemaker, so Se-ri asks for her products back, but Chi-soo refuses ("My head has never been so fragrant!").