IX

I wake up to realize I am cuddling with Spot. He is very strong, and now that he is holding me it has become super apparent. His arms wrapping around my waist pulling me into him, hand rests on the small of my back. I know I am staring but no one is awake to tell me off. As I keep looking at his toned body I keep noticing bruises and scars covering his abdomen. I don't want him to get hurt, how did he even get that many scares. It would be ideal if we could just stay like this forever. We are in a rather intimate position and I do not want it to end. To prolong it I snuggle into the warmth of his chest. For someone who can't shower often he certainly smells great. Just as I rest my hand on his chest I feel him stir. Did I just ruin this moment? Is he going to kick me out? We have only known each other for a short amount of time? It's all happening too soon.

Much to my distaste he removes his hand from the small of my back. Pretend to be asleep so he doesn't think you set this all up is what I think to myself. He is going to attempt to wake me up any second now. But instead of doing any of that starts running his fingers through my hair. It's soothing.

"I'se can't believe you'se stayed here wit me" he whispers continuing to run his fingers through down my back, "(Y/N) is truly breathtaking' and she ain't boring either. I'se might of found a keeper" he continues to brush my hair with his figures.

He can not possibly mean all that, he lectures me way too much for that to be true. Although being in his arms is really nice, we barely know each other. Maybe being in his arms again is enough for me to want to get to know him more. I'm going to invite him to my Pointe practices starting Sunday morning.

Instead of listening in on his conversation I decided to fake wake up. I begin just rolling my back to imitate a stir, before I pull away from Spot's body and look up at him with a smile. "What are we going to do today" I ask him.

He thinks for a moment, "I just want to stay here with you". Who would've thought the King of Brooklyn is a lazy cuddlebug. I looked out the Window to see the sun setting not rising, so I must have slept less than I thought.

"I don't have a curfew today" I give him a small smile, "We could lay here and talk". I quickly check his forehead again. It's still warm but it had definitely gone down since the last time I checked.

He chuckles are my moming for the second time today, "I would like that a lot" he closes his eyes for an second, "what's do you'se want to talk abou'?" His bright blue eyes cut through me like a knife. I can get lost in those things so easily, like the ocean.

I think for a moment, "How did you become the King" he looks up for a second, he closes his eyes and just sighs.

"Maybe another day" he completely shuts off, and turns away from me.

I was not about to take that for an answer, he needs to at least tell me why I can't know. Thinking quickly crawl over top of him and go to lay on the other side of him. Unfortunately for me, the mattress wasn't as big as I thought, and I fell to the floor. It was a rather long fall and you just hear a thud echo through the room.

He chuckles at me from above as he mumbles, "idiot" into his pillow. Finally he gives me a hand to get up, but I have a better idea. Instead of taking his hand I pull his arm down. He lets out a yell before landing on me, causing me to let out yelp.

"Will you tell me now" I plead with a sheepish smile and puppy dog eyes.

His genuine smile falls off his face, "I already said no" he is now getting off of my stomach, "we'se probably should get you home". Why is he so sensitive about it?

"Well I moved here because my mom wanted to run away with her boyfriend named Tod. Your turn" I say, hoping opening up a bit will help him open up.

He sighs again, "that isn't how life works goily".

"Why not"

"Okay, then you'se tell me abou' why you'se never to listen to me's" he practically spits at me.

I do listen to him, and I always will listen to him, "Then how come I know that you watch the sun rise mourning. And that you go to the races to make sure your friend doesn't gamble too much of his wages. How come that I know that you won't eat until you know that every other newsboy has eaten. How come huh" I might have gone a little overboard but once I started it was hard to stop. Tears are threatening to fall but I push them back.

Now he is angry, why though, all I did was prove him wrong. "You'se might know me on paper, but you obviously don't know my boundaries' '. Oh, I guess I am ignoring those. But we cuddled, the least he can do is give me a little taste of his past!

"I have practice for my performance starting tomorrow and until my show next Friday" I say knowing that if I push any harder nothing good will come out of it.

Suddenly his eyes sadden for a second, then back to his normal glare, "So's you'se not goin to be here tomorrow or Tuesday?

"I can't make it out, you can always come to practice"

"Cause I'se didn't works today I'se goin' ta have ta work twice as hard fo the rest of da week"

"I live there too, you could come downtown after you finish selling papers"

"Afta da papes are gone I'se have ta check in on da boys, and catch us some grub"

"After dark"

"I'se have to stay in Brooklyn on kingly duties"

"But my performance is Friday night and you are coming out for that"

"Maybies not, I'se can't just leave Brooklyn at night"

"But we had a deal"

"That was before I'se got all the details about it"

Now it is my turn to be mad. He can't just go back on his work because he is afraid to leave how after dark. "Since when are you afraid of the dark, and you walk me home every night"

"You'se wolkin' a thin line goily. A little walk in and out of town is different than a night outs of Brooklyn"

"Just take me home" I simply state not wanting to fight anymore.