Sorting

Chapter 4: Sorting

It was the 1st of September, the day that I'd go to Hogwarts. Sadie ran through the wall first. I followed her, bracing for impact, even though I'd done it twice before.

Platform 9 3/4 was just the same as it had always been.

Mum and dad arrived straight after me. We headed towards the train. Mum gave me a big hug. Dad patted my back. I was eager to find a carraige quickly. That way, I could find one on my own. I hated people.

I entered the train with my luggage and owl and walked past the carraiges filled with people. I found an empty one. I slid into it. A red-haired boy opened the compartment door. I gave him a stony look.

"Oh. Um. Hi," he said. "Mind if I share a compartment with you? Please?"

I smiled. He was so awkward that I couldn't help it.

"Sure."

He smiled at me, still slightly nervous.

"I'm Ron. Ron Weasley," he said, holding out his hand.

Of course he's a Weasley. How did I not guess?!

I shook his hand.

"I'm Cora."

"Pleasure to meet you."

A boy with black hair and glasses came to the compartment door.

"Erm. Hi. Can I sit with you guys?"

"Sure," said the Weasley.

"Thanks."

Ron introduced himself to the boy as the boy sat down.

"I'm Harry," the boy said. "Harry Potter."

That intrigued me. I glanced up at his forhead. Behind his messy hair I could see the signs of his lightning-shaped scar. Harry Potter lifted his hair to show the scar.

"Wicked," said the Weasley.

I knew I had to be friends with these two.

Ron tried to show us a spell that his brother gave him. A girl with bushy brown hair opened our door.

"Have any of you seen a toad? A boy named Neville's lost his."

"No, sorry. Can't say I have," I said.

"We haven't either," said Harry.

"I'm Hermione Granger, by the way. Who are you?" she said, turning to me.

"I'm Cora."

"And you?" she said turning to Harry.

"Harry Potter."

"Oh. I've read all about you! You're the Boy Who Lived!"

She turned to the Weasley.

"And you are?"

"Ron Weasley," he said, through a mouthful of food.

"Pleasure, I'm sure."

She noticed Ron's wand.

"You're practising magic? Give us a look then."

Ron cleared his throat.

"Sunshine, Daisies, Buttermellow.
Turn this stupid, fat rat yellow!"

Nothing happened.

"Are you sure that's a real spell? Well it's not very good, is it? I've only tried a few spells myself and they've all worked for me. For example:"

She pointed her wand at Harry's glasses.

"Occulus Reparo."

The tape flew off of his glasses and they were repaired.

"I take it you're one of the really smart people?" I said.

"Yes."

"I am too. For example:"

I pointed my wand at Ron.

"Expelliarmus."

Ron's wand flew out of his hand and I caught it.

"Well I'm glad someone besides me is actually willing to learn something. Do you want to come to my compartment? Then we can talk about magic together and compare the spells we've learnt. That is, after I've found Neville's toad."

"Sure."

"You boys really should get into your robes now," said Hermione as we left the compartment.

After we found the toad and I changed into my robes, Hermione and I compared spells. I was careful in the spells I chose to show her.

Just before the train stopped I showed her my patronus. I had taught myself how to do it and had chosen a memory from when I was six and Emily and I had found a squirrel. She had gotten so excited over the squirrel. It alway brought joy to my heart.

Expecto Patronum.

A squirrel errupted from my wand.

Hermione gasped.

"How can you already cast the patronus charm? That's really advanced magic. And how can you cast your spells without talking? That's really advanced too!"

"I've been teaching myself this stuff since I was 8."

The train pulled up and we hurried off.

"Firs' years. This way firs' years."

We had to go across the Black Lake in boats. I was with Hermione and another girl whose name was Mikaela. She told me to call her Mika.

We went up to the castle where a stern-looking woman directed us to a room. She called our names one-by-one.

Harry, Ron and Hermione were sorted into Gryffindor. Mika was sorted into Hufflepuff. Draco was sorted into Slytherin, just like every other Malfoy. My family was always sorted into either Gryffindor or Ravenclaw. I would probably be a Ravenclaw, though Gryffindor was not ruled out for me. That's what I thought, at least.

"Forrest, Cora."

I came out to the Great Hall. I saw Draco's face. He recognised me. He was confused. I'd have to explain to him.

The Sorting Hat was placed on my head.

Hmmm. You are brave. Very brave. And intelligence. You are quite a bright witch for someone so young. But despite this bravery and intelligence, I think I'll have to put you in...

"Slytherin!"

This could not be. Me, in the same house as the boy that killed my sister? No!

I trudged over to the Slytherin table. I saw the looks of shock on Harry, Ron, Hermione and Mika's faces. I'm pretty sure my face held the same amount of shock.