Forever

I hope you enjoy this chapter!

Chapter Two: 

The sunlight peered through the window. Laying not so soundly on his bed, Haru twists and turns. His eyes open abruptly. "Makoto!" he shouts and suddenly sits up. Sweat is dripping down his face, his hands are cold and clammy. Haru closes his eyes and takes in a deep breath. Please tell me it was just a dream. A single tear rolls down Haru's cheek. It has to be a dream. Haru breaks into tears once again. 

Riiiiiing. Riiiiing.  The sound of Haru's ringtone filled his room. Reaching his phone at the end of the bed, he clears his throat and wipes his tears away. Haru answers the phone without looking at the contact. "Hello-"

A voice interrupts Haru, "-Yo, Haru! Where are you? Nagisa, Rei, and I are already in the airport to say bye to Makoto."

Haru's eyes grow wide. Makoto never said anything about meeting him at the airport. He checks his text messages. There was one from Makoto saying when he was going to leave. It was sent a few hours before Haru woke up.

Rin spoke causing Haru to be snapped out of his thoughts, "Well? Are you on your way or not?"

"I-I can't go. I'm babysitting a neighbor's kid," Haru lies. 

"...Okay, Haru." With that, Rin hung up.

I don't want to see Makoto. I don't need to see him. Not anymroe. Haru thinks. Even he knows he's lying. Without a second thought, Haru grabs the keys to his car and runs out the door. He enters his car without a second thought and speeds to the hospital. What he didn't know is that things are going to take a terrible turn.

He speeds down the road going over the speed limit. He's beat several red lights and almost hit a car. He continues to drive this way for a few more miles. Haru is approaching an intersection at a high speed. The light turns red and Haru starts to release the gas pedal.

The car isn't slowing down.

He slams on the brakes.

The car isn't stopping.

He's in the middle of the intersection.

One thing led to another. 

And Haru's world went black.

XxX

At the airport.

"Dammit, Haru!" Rin was getting impatient. 

Makoto checked his watch. He looks away and forgot what it said. All his thoughts are on what happened the night before. He loves me? Makoto still couldn't believe it. He wanted to stay in Tokyo. He wanted to stay with Haru, but there was a whole other world wating for him in America. His dreams are half a planet away, but his whole world has been beside him the whole time.

"Makoto! Nagisa! Rei!" Rin shouts. "Haruka's in the hospital!"

Makoto's gaze shoots towards Rin's direction. "What?" he asks unbelievingly.

"Flight 315 to New York is boarding in ten minutes,"  the PA announced.

Makoto's throat dropped to his stomach. Rin sees Makoto's expression and feels pity. "It's okay Makoto. We'll go ahead to check on Haru. You go ahead to your flight." Rin says.

No. I won't go to America. "I'm coming with you, Rin," Makoto starts to head to the exit. 

"But Makoto-" 

"Come on," Makoto says in a forceful voice. All of them leave the airport and speed to the hospital.

XxX

"Excuse me. We're here to see Nanase Haruka," Nagisa says to the desk receptionist.

Her smile suddenly dropped into a frown. "Right this way." She leads the four of them past several hallways. "Haru just got out of surgery. He is very weak right now. He suffered a mild concussion. He is in a very critical state right now. His chances of living are-"

"Please let me in," Makoto begs. He already feels tears brimming his eyes.

"There can only be one person at a time," the nurse speaks. Rei, Nagisa, and Rin give him a curt nod telling him to go ahead.

The nurse opens the door and let's Makoto in. She shuts it when he's inside.

Makoto gasps when he sees Haru laying on the hospital bed. He was banged up really bad. There were bandages in almost every part of his body. His face is still visible, but there was a look of pain on his features. Makoto moves a chair right beside the bed. He sits on it and buries his face in his hands. It started silently, but his sobs grow louder. His breaths are short and his mind was filled with so many thoughts. A soft hand pulls Makoto's hands from his face.

"Makoto," Haru says quietly. He strokes Makoto's cheek gently and wipes his tears away. Makoto puts his hands over Haru's and cries even harder. "Makoto. Why aren't you on your plane?"

Makoto wipes his tears away and sniffles. "I realized that..." he trails off.

"Realized what?" Haru says in a hoarse voice.

"I realized that all I want and need is here in Japan. All I want and need turned out to be you," he smiles sadly. Haru's heart beat quickened. The man he loves just indirectly confessed his love for him.

"What about America? What about your dream?"

"America doesn't matter anymore. My dream is to be with you."

Haru felt tears stream down his face. He felt an overwhelming amount of happiness fill him. But both of them knew that it won't last long. "I love you so much Makoto."

A big smile flashed on Makoto's face. His emerald green eyes turned glossy. "I-I love you, too, Haru-chan. I love you so much." Makoto stood up from his chair and held Haru's hand in his. He leaned down until his and Haru's face were centimeters away from each other. Makoto stared into Haru's deep ocean blue eyes and pressed his lips onto his. Haru immediately kissed him back. The kiss is sweet and gentle. Makoto pulls away and kisses Haru on the forehead.

They both smile at each other, but both had a sad look in their eyes. Makoto sits back down into his chair, trying to bring his heart rate down.

"My grandma," Haru softly speaks, "she used to say, 'When you're ten, they call you a prodigy. When you are fifteen, they call you a genius. Once you hit twenty, you're just an ordinary person. I guess I won't be able to become an ordinary person."

"No, Haru. You're going to live. I know it," Makoto says encouragingly, but he knows that the chance of it happening is slim.

"Listen to the heart rate monitor, Makoto. My heart beat is so slow. I feel like sleeping. I am trying so hard to stay awake."

"Haru-"

"Makoto. Please. I really do want to live. I want to see your races in America. I want to see you standing on that pedestal with that gold medal around your neck. I want to see you swim. I want to be your side. I know that I won't be able to do that anymore." Tears were rolling down Makoto's face. His eyes were red from crying. "Just promise me that whatever happens, you will find a new dream." Haru's voice is growing weak. "Please just remember, even if I'm not there, I'll always love you forever and always."

The beep of the heart rate monitor became constant. Makoto's whole world seemed to stop. "You are my dream, Haru. You always were."

-End-