36. "Sure, Maud. We'll treat him like a princess."

Start from the beginning

Patrick observed Conner with exaggerated interest.

"I don't have a set schedule," Conner grumbled at the sudden attention.

"What does that mean? Will you stay until your heartbreak is over?" his father scoffed.

"Hold your head up, boy. Maybe you'll meet a nice girl today," Maud cried unconcerned.

"Or a nice guy for me," Jason shouted cheerfully.

Conner looked at him angrily and full of blame.

"Why that frown?" Jason shrugged. "Isn't this why you helped me?" he thoughtlessly added. Startled, he put his hand in front of the mouth and looked apologetically at Conner turning bright red.

His parents exchanged a look, but kept quiet. Stunned, Conner looked around the table. "Why aren't you saying anything?" he demanded.

Maud scraped her throat. "Your father and I have decided not to interfere with your relationship," she said, sliding her hand into her husband's.

This answer struck like a bomb. "Relationship? What are you talking about?" Conner angrily shouted. "Just a minute ago you talked about finding me a girl!"

"Take it easy, Conner," his father said calmly.

Conner got worked up and turned to face him. "Did you discuss this behind my back?"

"Yes," his father nodded.

"And to what conclusion have you come?" he hissed.

Patrick looked straight at him. "That we'll be there for you when you need us."

He froze. "What?"

Jason shoved his chair backwards.

"Where are you going?" Conner snapped.

"This is obviously private. Something between you and your family," he said standing up.

"Isn't that a little late since you couldn't keep your big trap shut?"

Jason's eyes grew big. "This is not the place to challenge me, Conner," he warned.

Conner laughed hard. His pent-up desire turned into adrenaline. It made him reckless. "So what if I did?" he shouted loudly. "You wouldn't do a fucking thing about it, because you don't want to implicate yourself," he sneered.

"You're such an butthead," Jason said head-shaking. "You are afraid of what lies behind you and afraid of what the future brings. Do you think it's strange that your parents are worried about you?"

"I'm not afraid!"

"Oh, no? Did you tell anyone about your trauma? Your physical rehabilitation?"

"Jason?", Conner growled menacingly.

Willing to pay any price, he persevered. "You pushed your family and friends away and sought support from the most inappropriate person you could find, which is me." Jason turned to Patrick and Maud. "I helped him with his nightmares." His face was tight. "Don't ask me for details, because I won't give any."

With clenched fists, Conner slumped on his chair.

"So my son is a butthead, hm?" Patrick remarked.

Jason stared at Conner looking at him with burning eyes. "Has been since the moment I found him sleeping in my bed," he unwittingly confessed tenderly.

Two mouths fell open.

"That was our first meeting," Conner quickly clarified. "You can stop talking now," he told Jason angrily.