Chapter 1

Elaine Granger.  How do I even describe her?  She's tough, funny, thoughtful, brave....the list can go on forever.  But we aren't here to describe the girl...we are here to listen to her story and how she became what she is today: a hero and a badass.  Her story starts off on her last day of her junior year in high school.  Here is where it all began... 

Elaine's POV: 

"Ten minutes left students!" I hear the proctor for my math exam say as I finish scribbling the answers down.  It was my last test before summer holiday.  I could hardly wait.  I tucked my frizzy hair behind my ears and smiled to myself thinking about leaving school.  It was, after all, my last summer holiday before turning 18 and being forced out of the orphanage.  I was ready.  I was so excited to finally get out of that place.  My best friend, Jason, and I had big plans for ourselves.  

When the proctor finally collected my test, I was free to go.  Walking out of school on the last day before summer holiday was one of the best feelings in the world.  The hot summer breeze blew through my hair as I walked down the path and towards the bus.  As I got on the bus, I spotted Jason sitting in the back with his headphones on.  His long black hair was tied in a bun and his leather jacket laid on the seat next to him.  "Hey Elaine!" he yelled and waved me over.  He moved his jacket for me and I sat next to him just as the bus pulled away.  "Dude you gotta cut your hair," I said as I jokingly messed it up.  He swatted my hand away and put his arm around me.  To anyone looking at us, they might assume we are dating.  Jason was, after all, very good looking, but we've always been better off as friends.  He's been way more of a protective older brother for me than a love interest. 

As the bus pulled away Jason gave me one of his earbuds and we listened to music.  We shared a package of crisps and talked about our potential plans for the night.   

Finally, about a half hour of being on the bus, we got off at our stop.  

Wool's Orphanage.  It was depressing.  It was home.  I hated it just like all the other kids.  There were twenty-five of us living here.  The only plus about the place was we each had our own room.  Jason and I were the oldest kids in the orphanage, and often helped out Mrs. Burke (she ran the orphanage with her husband).  Our rooms were placed next to each other when Jason moved in so I suppose that is why we grew so close.  

Jason and I met here at Wool's Orphanage when we were 10.  I have been living here since my mother sent me after I was just born.  I wish I knew why she would do something like that to me, but she never left her name or contact information for Mrs. Burke to give me once I got older.  Something like that used to bother me, but not so much anymore.  I've grown and changed so much.  

In fact, I feel like I've changed more than I even know.  I make weird things happen.  No one knows why, but I know there's something wrong with me.  It is, after all, the reason I haven't been adopted yet, according to Mr. Burke.  He's always been the worst thing about this place.  He's verbally abusive to all of us.  Jason and I have grown to ignore it, but it does affect the younger kids quite a bit. 

As we made our way up the street towards Wool's Orphanage, Jason and I set plans for the night.  We are planning to go to a new bar called Ronnie's.  Everyone was going to be there.  Though I didn't have any friends at school, Jason did.  He was that popular cool guy with a dark past that every school seemed to have.  Everyone knew about me because of him, though they never knew my name.  

According to Jason's friend Ashley, the whole school will be at the bar tonight.  Everyone including my crush since 5th grade: Bryan.  He was going to be at Ronnie's tonight.  That is the only reason why I agreed to go. 

Around 8pm, Jason and I were ready to go to Ronnie's.  I had on jeans and a tight neon shirt that made even my non-existent boobs look big.  My hair was curled nicely and I had sunglasses sitting on my head to keep my hair out of my face.  Jason had jeans and his classic leather jacket on.  His hair was tied back and slicked down with gel.  "Shall we," he said as he motioned me right out of the orphanage door and onto the street.