Part 7

"... I smelled gas, there was an explosion, and then I woke up in another body, in the Ninth Lord's manor with Chloe as a slave." I finished my story, pausing to take a breath, feeling mentally exhausted.

"..." Luke stared at me silently, his expression unreadable.

I felt nervous. "What are you thinking about?"

"Thinking?" He shook his head slowly. "It's definitely... a lot. This world was a book, a fantasy story in your world?"

"I'm sorry, it's crazy..."

"You said I was the villain in the story?" Luke reach out and grabbed my hand, interrupting me.

"Y-yes."

"And in the story you read, I went back and slaughtered everyone in the Ninth Lord's household. I killed anyone who stood in my way and eventually tried to take the throne by force?" Despite the terrible things he was saying, I couldn't help but smile at how ridiculous it all seemed.

"I know it's hard to believe..."

"I believe you."

"What?" As he answered me in a deadpan tone. I stared at him in shock, "Just like that?"

Luke rubbed his forehead, looking pained.

"Because it's true." He finally whispered. "If I hadn't met you... I without a doubt would have taken that path."

"Luke..." I wanted to apologize, but wasn't sure where to start.

"So if every major character in the story dies..."

"Except the main hero and the villain." I interrupted.

"Except for me and Graham." He corrected with a slight grin. "Then you thought if you didn't have a name it would protect you?"

"It's not about having a name or not. It's about being important enough to the story to have a name." I sighed. "Every character in a book has a name, but the ones who are just extras, unimportant side characters, you never learn them. That's the character I wanted to be."

"..." Luke stared at me for a moment, and then laughed.

"Why are you laughing?"

"Because haven't you done the opposite of that?" He counted off on his fingers. "You saved the villain and changed his life. Led the heroes team through their second challenge. Saved the villain again after he was betrayed. Was proposed to and refused by the main villain... and now you're helping the villain beat the third test and become king?" He stopped, looking up at me with an amused grin. "Am I missing anything?"

"...Technically I also refused the hero's proposal... and drugged him." I muttered.

"Pardon?"

Ignoring Luke's sudden intense stare in my direction, I coughed awkwardly and tried to change the subject. "So does that mean it's too late for me?" I felt gloomy at the thought, remembering with a shudder Fetter's undisguised atmosphere of barely controlled violence. "I'm doomed?"

A warm hand grasped my own. "I wouldn't say that. This world is different then the book you read, right?"

"In some ways, yes, but in others..."

"But it might have changed enough that you can't be certain that everyone important will die." He squeezed my hand. "Don't give up hope yet."

I thought it over. Maybe he was right. So much had changed already... "Can I still not have a name for now?"

"Sure." Luke grinned. "Take as long as you need."

"After the third test. After that, I'll take on a name." My voice shook slightly with anxiety at the idea, but I answered him firmly.