Chapter Forty-Three: Fenrir

Start from the beginning

Before I could reach my car door, my phone buzzed, catching my attention. 

Emergency council meeting

Rolling my eyes, I considered skipping the meeting. There was no reason for me to go to a meeting for a council that would kill me given a chance. With that said, it might prove helpful to listen in. I know for a fact that Carol had nothing that kept supernatural ears from hearing everything said in the house. I wouldn't even need to get too close to know everything. With that thought, I grinned and got in my car, speeding towards the Lockwood estate. 

I arrived at the edge of the Lockwood estate and shut my car off, deciding it was probably best to go the rest of the way on foot. Silently, I sped towards the house, staying out of sight of the windows but still where I could see into the living room of the house. Focusing, I narrowed my eyes at the meeting and listened in. "Carol, what's so urgent that you called an emergency council meeting at this hour?" Liz questioned as she entered the house. 

"I didn't call the meeting, Liz." I watched as Liz and Carol appeared in the doorway of the living room where Alaric was with the rest of the council, "He did."

"Join us, Sheriff. I was just telling the council about our vampire problem. Or should I say your problem." My eyes furrowed at his words as I clenched my fists. This was not my Rick, this was the vampire hunter that Esther had manipulated him into. 

I saw the shock on Liz's face as she stared at Alaric in confusion. She had no clue what was going on, it was like Brutus and Ceasar. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Well, perhaps you and the Mayor can enlighten the group on the strides you've taken to eliminate the issue. Oh, that's right, you haven't. You see, the Sheriff, a woman we elected to keep our families safe and town secure, has a vampire for a daughter." I stiffened when he mentioned Caroline. There was no way to keep her safe from this. "And our lovely Mayor, a son who is half-vampire, half-werewolf." And now Tyler will be brought down too. Shit. 

I saw the blood drain from both women's faces as they stared at Alaric in shock. "Why are you doing this?" Carol asked in confusion. 

Alaric didn't answer the question, just turned to address the rest of the council, "These women are hypocrites. They claim to spearhead our defense against the supernatural presence, then cover up the violent attacks committed by their children." 

Over the meeting and desperate to get to her daughter, Liz scowled and turned on her heel, "That's enough. We're done here. It's time to go."

Before she could get very far, Alaric was in front of the door, blocking her escape. "Sit down, Liz. We're just getting started." He hissed angrily. 

"Someone needs to get Europa Gilbert here, her siblings are in danger if they are friends with the vampires." One of the council members stated urgently.

Before he could get too far on being concerned for my family, Alaric shook his head, "Europa Gilbert won't be joining us. She was killed by a vampire late last night." 

My eyebrows furrowed, why was he not claiming my death as his fault? Was it because I was a human? 

"Probably the same ones that they protect!" A different council member assumed, making it clear as to why he did that. If there were any hesitations on killing Caroline Forbes and Tyler Lockwood before, they were gone now. 

I needed to get to my place, that was the most likely place where Caroline and Tyler were.

Rushing back to my car, I got in and started it up, racing towards my place before I slammed on the brakes. I needed to get Klaus too. Angrily, I hit the wheel before sighing and grabbing my phone. "Rebekah?"