Chapter Forty-Three: Fenrir

After Damon and Stefan took Klaus' body, I was left to my own devices in the house. I had to wait until Bonnie could get over to make me a daylight anything, so I instead took to exploring the place, the sun making some rooms inaccessible, but for the most part, I could get everywhere I wanted to, like Klaus' room. 

His room was pretty clean, cluttered with the same amount of art as the one and only time I had been in it, However, despite this, the bed was made, the art was organized, and there wasn't a stray article of clothing anywhere. When I entered, the air moved, and his scent hit me full blast. I froze, hesitating for a moment before I continued in. 

My eyes instantly zeroed in on a letter on his desk. It had my name on it. 

Without thinking, I rushed to the desk and picked up the heavy envelope, opening it and pulling the letter out first, ignoring the other item in it for the moment. 

Europa, 

If you are reading this, then something has kept me from being at your side to give you this gift myself. I'm not too worried at this fact seeing as there is nothing that can kill me; you, however, are incredibly fragile. You always have been, from the first moment I met you. Despite your breakability, you've never done anything in bad intentions. You have always been the first to defend me or to scold me, despite my dangerous nature. For that, I am truly thankful. 

I was in the woods when I found you at the end of your human life. I can't tell you how many terrifying thoughts ran through my head while I stared into your lifeless eyes. It took me a whole ten minutes to realize that I had given you my blood earlier and that you would be okay. Relatively at least. The scene was harsh and horrifying, different from your sweet disposition in life that it was like seeing an angel in hell. 

Now that you are starting your life as a vampire, I struggled to find an appropriate piece of jewelry that I thought you would like to wear for the rest of your life. Immediately, my mind went to a protection charm, but Rebekah reminded me that you had always been self-sufficient and more likely to run into danger than to run for protection. So, I quickly scratched that option out as you continued to sleep. It then dawned on me that you would most appreciate a piece of jewelry that symbolized your human life and your vampire life. 

Inside the envelope, you will find a lapis lazuli pendant, already charmed for you, it is a wolf fang with the head of Fenrir. In my human life, I knew Fenrir as the wolf that would bring the end of the world - a dangerous being. Similarly, vampires are seen immediately as dangerous, which we are. More than that, though, Fenrir was family-oriented and loyal. Its a trait I'vee seen you display many times through your devotion to your troublesome sister. Additionally, you and this wolf share a commonality in your bravery and your desire for independence. I've seen you rush into danger for myself and those you love more than once, and though you are loyal to a fault, you've still dreamed of gaining your independence from the ties of Mystic Falls. 

In your new life, you will find that the ties that used to seem suffocating don't matter nearly as much as they used to, you will be as powerful as Fenrir while the morals you held will grow in their strength. Hold onto your spirit, and never flip your switch. If you do, it is my hope that this necklace will guide you back to who you are. 

Nikklaus

By the end of the letter, I had tears racing down my face. He had such a high opinion of me, and I threw it back in his face without a second thought. I let the Salvatores desecrate him and take him away. 

I pulled the necklace out and put it on gently before leaving the room with the letter clutched in my hand, on a mission. Night had begun to fall on Mystic Falls, and I had to find Klaus before the Salvatores did something horrible. Grabbing my purse, I put the letter inside and then stormed out of the house and into the fading light.