Chapter Twenty-Five: Tiffany's

A/N: Should I give you an update today? Probably not, but I am a kind person so here you all go. 

I had precisely twenty-four seconds of silence as everyone tried to process what had just happened. Caroline, as in Caroline style, was the first to break it. "What was that? What just happened?"

"Maybe we should all go inside," Liz suggested, corraling everyone into the house.

Once comfortably seated in the living room, everyone turned to me, wanting an explanation. "Klaus saved my life, I thanked him."

"No, you thanked him, then flirted with him, then backed down from a fight - which you rarely do - then thanked him again. Then he kissed your hand and sped away like a thousand-year-old James Dean." Caroline amended my story.

My mouth opened in confusion, "I didn't flirt with him." I complained, more like grumbled as I sipped the hot chocolate that Liz made me.

"You did," Elena said, laughing a little.

Then we were all laughing. Well, Caroline, Elena, and I was. Alaric, Jeremy, and Liz were staring at us like we were crazy. "What did I miss? Why are they laughing?" Jeremy asked, which just made us laugh harder.

"I don't know," Alaric grumbled as he stared at us in concern.

Elena looked at me, then laughed some more, "You are crushing on the worst of bad boys, ever!" She teased me.

I buried my head in my hands, willing everything to go away. "Remember when she said, I don't do bad boys. They're too unpredictable. I like nerds. Remember that Elena?" Caroline asked in between gasps.

"Shut up! Klaus can be good. He just has to work a little harder at it." I grumbled lightly, glowering at the floor.

They shook their heads fondly at me and cleared their throats, obviously moving on. With the silence, I was able to remember my gift to Caroline that I had gotten a while back. "Shit! Care, stay still. Don't move." Then I was up and running towards my room.

I pulled the item from my bedside stand and smiled at it. I knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that she would love it. When I saw it, I couldn't help but think of Caroline. I grabbed the note I had written for her too and ran back down the stairs.

Handing her a vibrant blue box, recognizable to almost anyone, and with the company name plastered on top in small font.

Once Liz and Caroline saw it, their eyes widened. "What- how did you?" Liz said in shock, her hand going to her mouth at the name brand I just dropped in her daughter's hand.

"When I turned eighteen, my mom gave me a little blue box, quite like this one, and a letter with words of wisdom. She told me that Marlyn Monroe got a few things right, one of them being diamonds are a girl's best friend. I don't quite believe that, but I like the sentiment." I said with a shrug, gaining a shocked laugh from Caroline as she blinked at me. "However, I do believe that someone passing into adulthood is a time to be celebrated. You are like a little sister to me, you've always supported me and never singled me out like others did when we were growing up. You know I will always support and be here for you, but I wanted to show you that you are a part of my family, and that means something to me."

Caroline had tears in her eyes. Like actual tears. "I already knew that dumbo, you didn't need to spend this- how much was this?" She asked in shock, looking at the little blue box.

So, I may act like it was the end of the world with finances, but Elena learned quickly on her birthday that it was all talk and that we were doing just fine, and that I was making more than I let on when she got the same blue box. Meaning, when I want to spoil someone, I will. And I will do it without looking too hard at the price tag.