Chapter Thirteen: What Lies Ahead

"Stop worrying. I'll be fine, Mizuki-nee. Mizuki-nee...?"

She slowly shakes her head, chasing away the distressing images flashing before her eyes. "What?"

"I said I'll be fine," repeats Daichi.

He's going fishing with Dad today, all dressed up, equipped with his little fishing-rod and lunch-basket. His right temple bores the discolored scar he obtained at the fall, running down across his brow. It serves as a constant reminder to Mizuki; the gentle sea is never kind—only vicious, bearing it's fangs when you least expect it.

"I'm not going kayaking down Niagara falls. Would be awesome, though," Daichi mumbles the last part under his breath. "You gonna be okay?"

Will she be okay? Mizuki considers the question. She isn't at all sure that she ever will be.

"I'll catch you a big one!" he says, rushing out the door. Mizuki banishes the negative thoughts and forces herself to concentrate on her little brother's retreating back.

"No thanks! Just be careful, alright!" she calls out to him, watching as Daichi joins his father, their rods over their shoulders, and the pair happily goes on their way.

She's alone now.

There's nothing worse than spending free time alone. Okay, she's overreacting a bit. It's even worse riding the train to where the regional tournament will be held, cheering for the friends she bluntly ignored ever since 'it'—as Mizuki now comes to think of Haruka's confession—happened.

Assuming I won't get cold feet and go home, she thinks, nervously fiddling with her hair.

Mizuki's not even sure why she bothers, though she does have a niggling thought it has a lot to do with the three text messages she received from Gou. At least come out to cheer at regionals, was the first.

This in response to Mizuki's message, declaring that she has her hands full with her part-time job. A rather pathetic lie on her part, and she knows it well.

You're not done yet? was the second message from Gou.

Mizuki supposed she's offended by her dodgy behavior—and rightly so. Okay, so maybe that's the real reason she decided to go. It's hard to say no to Gou, which is probably why she stepped on the train in the first place.

You better show up today. That was the last message she'd received.

Mizuki can only assume the reason she hasn't heard from Gou since is because she's either mad at her for not replying, or because she'd given up on her.

Or because she knows Mizuki won't say no to Rei, who sends her a message. Do not feel obligated to attend. When you receive this message, let it sink in and just do what you feel is right.

Mizuki reads his words carefully. She should say something—maybe a quick thank you, then thinks better of it and puts away her phone.

When she finally makes it to the swimming arena, shaking with nervous tremor, she's surprised when Gou explains the situation at hand. The boys apparently fled the scene and can't be found anywhere. Goro is none too happy about it.

"We looked everywhere," he says, scratching his head. "They just disappeared. And the relay is about to start, too."

"Haruka-senpai went after onii-chan," Gou mumbles as she looks up, scanning the large scoreboard.

A sudden restlessness distorts Mizuki's features. "They won't do anything stupid, right?" She hates herself for widening the rift between Haruka and Rin.