Dec smiled at that, admiring his partner's seemingly unending compassion. "C'mon, pass me your phone and I'll call Sam and see how far away we are." 

Mikayla, without hesitation, handed him her phone as he called her younger brother in the car ahead of them. It wasn't long before the call connected.

"Mikayla, Dec, you're on speaker." Sam informed them, that hum of the Impala's engine in the background, telling them that they were indeed on speaker.

"So are you, Sammy. Just wondering how close we are." Kayla responded, becoming distracted for a second and almost missing a turn. Dec shot her a look for that, the huntress mouthing a "sorry".

"We're pretty close, just outside of Grand Junction. Shouldn't you know this? I don't know if you've noticed but you're driving a car, Kayla." Dean passed, causing both his sister and Declan to roll their eyes.

"We've been a little busy calling some hunter friends, see if they've heard anything about Dad." Kayla admitted, not telling the whole truth but not exactly lying either; Isobel did help them out on a lot of hunts.

"Hunter friends?" Dean quizzed, slightly suspicious but not wanting to sound like he was interrogating them.

"Yes, Dean, your sister and I have friends who are hunters. We work with them on occasion.” Declan mocked him, eliciting a chuckle from his best friend.

Sam cut in before an argument could break out. "You know what? Maybe we shouldn't have left Stanford so soon." 

Dean let out a sigh before responding to his brother. "Sam, we dug around there for a week. We came up with nothing. If you wanna find the thing that killed Jessica-"

"We gotta find Dad first." Sam finished for him, sounding a little dejected which both of his siblings picked up on. Declan didn't as he was too busy trying to change the radio without getting his hand slapped.

"Look, Sam, Dad disappearing and this thing showing up again after twenty years, it's no coincidence." Kayla spoke, Sam and Dean listening intently when a loud thwack came through the phone.

"Ow!" Declan yelled, clearly having failed in his mission to change the radio.

"Stop messing with the radio!" The huntress scolded, her brothers struggling to contain their laughter on the other side of the phone.

Dean cleared his throat. "Dad will have answers. He'll know what to do." Mikayla rolled her eyes at her brother's blind faith but didn't say anything.

"It's weird, guys." Sam said. "These coordinates he left us. This Blackwater Ridge."

Kayla tensed slightly, gripping the steering wheel tightly. This didn't go unnoticed by Declan who desperately wanted to know what happened the last time the female Winchester was there but also knowing that she'd tell him when she was ready.

"What about it?" Dean pressed, not seeing the issue, but Kayla did. She had known from the beginning that the chances of John being at Blackwater Ridge were slim to none: this was a hunt. For the first time in a long time, she didn't mind being ordered to go somewhere.

"There's nothing there. It's just woods." The youngest Winchester explained, putting down the map he had been holding. "Why is he sending us to the middle of nowhere?"