Aquaria's Beginnings-Prologue

Start from the beginning

“I am sorry that you’ll never meet a boy you really like, and won’t be happy like Mommy and Daddy.”

The woman stared in horror at Shaun.

“Shaundra Lynn Pendleton!”  Her mother exclaimed, “you Apologize this instant!”

“But Mommy! I am sorry, I even said so!”

“I am so sorry Ms. Temple, I don’t know what prompted her to say such an awful thing”

The woman’s expression flickered for just an instant and the shiny smile was back in place.

“Not to worry Mrs. Pendleton, I take no offense, from the mouth of babes after all.”

The woman led them into a big room that looked sort of like her daddy’s office with a big desk, and a wall of books stacked with big tomes that had no pictures she was sure.  She sat on a small stool between her mommy and daddy playing with her doll quietly. The grown-ups talked for what seemed like hours.  They talked about everything: school, clothes, rooms, money, and food.  Then the woman handed daddy some papers that he read and wrote on with his big shiny pen.

“Daddy can I have it?” She reached for the pen, “I wanna draw too.”

He shook his head, “No Shaun, not right now.”

She pouted setting her doll down huffily. All Three grown ups stood and headed toward the door.  Shaun grabbed her doll and followed after them taking her mommy’s hand as she caught up.  Mommy and the sad lady walked one way and daddy went the other heading out the front door.  As the door was closing she looked back and saw Roderick open the trunk.

“Mommy, is this where we are having our vacation?”

She looked down at Shaun her dark blue eyes seemed to be watering.

“Yes Honey, this is where you’re having your vacation”

Shaun frowned, “do we have to mommy? I don’t like this place the mountains would be much better.  I like snow!”

Mommy tried to smile again, but didn’t quite manage.

“Maybe we’ll do that next time honey.” Again Shaun pouted.

Having a vacation here would not be fun. The whole place had a sort of emptiness; it felt…sad, and lonely.

They entered a large open room with shelves of toys and brightly colored mats strewn about the floor.  A colorful mural decorated one wall and tables lined the other.

“Shaun this is the play room.  You will have school until noon just down the hall to our right. Then we have an hour of playtime before lunch and again before dinner, in this room.”

“What?” she whined, “School? On vacation?”

This was definitely not going to be fun.  They walked across the room and through another door which remained open behind them. Down a magenta hallway with flowers painted on the wall.  Towards the end of the hallway they entered a room with two small beds.

“Shaun you will be sharing this room with Meg. She is in class right now.  You will meet her after supper since her parents are coming to see her today.”

Shaun looked at her mother curiously.

“Where will mommy and daddy be sleeping?”

At that moment her daddy walked into the room, his look grave and slightly impatient, he held only her suit case.  That is when it happened.

The room grew dark, and to someone outside her head there was a pale little girl standing in a tiny room with blank, wide eyes.

Shaun saw her mommy and daddy walking out the big gated door, without her.  She watched as the climbed into the long car with Roderick, powerless to stop them.  She watched as they drove away, leaving her behind.

Shaun blinked, the present coming back in to focus and she began to scream tears streaming down her cheeks.

“No! Mommy, Daddy, please don’t leave me! I’ll be good!  I won’t make messes; I won’t ask to play with your pen, please!”  Her voice was a high pitched screech.

Her daddy’s mouth was a thin line.

“Shaundra, you’re sick.  The stories you make up are not normal.  You have to get better.  Dr. Thomas-”, at her confused look he added, “the man you talk to on Thursdays, told us that Ms. Temple can take care of you here.  When you are better mommy and daddy will come and get you.”

“I won’t do it anymore daddy.  I won’t, I promise!” she said urgently.

Her daddy did not look at her which caused her panic to rise. How could they leave her here?

“Shaun, When Ms. Temple has made sure you are well, she will call us and we will come and get you, it might only be for a week or two and you can play and make new friends.”

“I have friends daddy!”

“They only live in your head Shaun!  Only you can see them! It’s not normal, not appropriate.  You are staying here until they are gone.”

Shaun tugged at her mommy’s coat. “Mommy! Don’t let him make me stay.  I won’t even talk to my friends or anybody. You won’t even know I am there.”

Her mommy bit her lip, holding back her tears.  She leaned down and embraced her daughter tightly.  She then stood, and taking a deep breath turned around and stepped out of the room.

“Bye baby, get better.”

Shaun tried to run after her mother but Ms. Temple grabbed her around the waist and she was held fast.  Daddy looked at her, his eyes empty. He then nodded to Ms. Temple and followed after his wife. 

After a few minutes, Ms. Temple let her go.  She ran from the room and down the hallway only to be met by a solidly locked metal door. 

Shaun ran back down the hallway into the room, where Ms. Temple was now emptying her suitcase into the chest of drawers.  She climbed on the desk so she could look out the window. Events were just as she had seen in her daydream. Mommy, Daddy, and Roderick drove away in the long black car.