1

In Metro Manila, where folks from the province go to find a better livelihood for themselves and their family, there lies district where people lived simple lives with simple jobs and simple ambitions in contrast to their neighborhood communities. This district, named Pateros, stood out to the others as it replicated more aspects of a province rather than a bustling metropolis. Within that district lived a man named Tavio Yambao. Among the people living there, especially within the man's neighbors, he was constantly reckoned by them as an odd one. For one, he was from the further northern provinces and yet when he moved to the city, he decided to live in the district where opportunities weren't as lavish compared to the other districts. Another feature they found odd about him is how he doesn't even socialize with anyone around him to the point he usually ignores anyone who tries to talk to him except for a few select people. His neighbors would see him leave the house and jump into a taxi to his office job in the morning and come back later in the night tired and possibly drunk. During the weekends, he's nowhere to be seen as he doesn't even open the curtains of his own house, almost making it seem as if he isn't at home. Rumors among the neighborhood spread how he's possibly some sort of criminal, perhaps even mentally ill. The truth is, they weren't too far off from the truth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was Friday night and Tavio has just got back home from work. Well, he made a beeline to the local bar and then went home. He opened the front door and went straight to the bedroom, almost forgetting to shut the door behind him. He collapsed on the bed, not bothering to change his clothes for the night. Did he eat dinner? Did he even take off his shoes? He doesn't have a clue. All he wants to do is sleep for the rest of the night, possibly even throughout the weekend. Doesn't matter if he slept through 3 days since he doesn't have anything better to do rather than count his money.

Why was he so absorbed in his finances he wondered. He originally didn't care much about money or prosperity. Then again, there was a reason as to why he moved to the city and left his life in the province. His head sunk deeper into the covers while he remembered all that happened 6 years prior.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wait, are you saying dad died?" A young Tavio asked through his old Nokia. He was currently inside the gymnasium of their school celebrating their graduation from high school with Tavio coming out as salutatorian. Such a tragedy occurring on this day, Tavio couldn't help but feel extremely worried and distraught, "I'll come home immediately. I have to ask my teacher's permission so I can leave early." and with that, he hung up.

After a very persuasive conversation with the teachers and a long speech delivered by their valedictorian. Tavio rushed back home to the small cottage in the outskirts of town where he and his family reside. Before leaving however, one of Tavio's friends grabbed him and asked, "Hey! Where are you going? The program hasn't ended yet.".

"Look, I don't have enough time to explain. Something happened in my family and I have to get home quick." Tavio shrugged off his grip and continued running, leaving his friend dumbfounded.

Tavio got home and saw that his mom was indeed right. His dad laid on the rickety wooden bed, shirt dredged in blood, the source seeming to be from his mouth. "Tavio, someone poisoned your father's breakfast. The barangay officials are trying to find the suspect but to no success.". Now that his mom mentioned it, he remembered how his dad told him that he had to go home early because he wasn't feeling well after he took him to school.

Tears welled up Tavio's eyes. He wanted so much for his father to see him become successful in life and bring them out of poverty. Now he can't because he's gone. Tavio's mom went to hug her son, tears also welling up in her eyes.