chapter seventeen

__

"Nothing to live for, yet nothing to die for"__

__

"NEED ANY help, Muscles?" I asked as I walked into the kitchen.

"Yeah, could ya set the table?" He instructed, scrapping the pan as he made scrambled eggs. I nodded my head and got out a set of plates and silverware.

When I accidentally set up eight sets of plates was when it kicked in. Johnny ain't here. Tears threatened to fall as I picked up the plate to go out it back. I stepped back to the kitchen, putting them away.

"What's up?" Darry asked, assuming I had a question or something, "Nothin' I just miscounted." I smiled through the tears that suddenly slipped out. I quickly wiped them but Darry had already noticed.

"Come here," He sighed, pulling me into a hug. He rubbed my back as I cried silently. The only thing that came out were tears. I sniffed and pulled away, wiping my cheeks.

"Thanks," I mumbled through my sleeve. I really needed a hug.

"Johnny really loved you. He talked about how much you were there for him when he was goin' through stuff. But, you gotta stay strong, don't let his death control you." Darry lectured, but in an attempted less harsh way.

I just nodded, going back to the living room to find 4 sleeping boys. I lightly chuckled, leaving them be for the time being. I walked to Ponyboys room, just to check up on him. He was sound asleep, a wet washcloth was placed on his head. He had a pretty high fever last night according to Darry.

"I don't wanna go to school." He groaned, ripping the cloth off of his head. I giggled, he's out of it.

"Well it's your lucky day cause you don't have to." I softly spoke. He opened his eyes to see me and they immediately lit up. He looks cute when he's sleepy.

          "Boy, am I glad to see ya!" He exclaimed, sitting up in his bed. I smiled, resting my hand on his. His ear slightly turned red. I crawled next to him on top of the covers.

          "Feels like I've been gone forever, tell ya what," He started, "You, me and Johnny go to the Dingo,"

          My stomach dropped, like it went down a steep slope of a rollercoaster. He doesn't remember last nights events. He thinks everything's normal.

          "Well, Dar's makin' breakfast." I sighed, not wanting to talk about Johnny. He'll remember and realize sooner than later.