A King's Heart: Part 2

"The least you can do is let me plan the wedding,"  Ivan hissed angrily.

Natasha held back the urge to scream at him to leave her alone, knowing that would only cause more trouble than it was worth.  The easiest thing to do would be just let Ivan have his way, but she was trying to keep Ivan from controlling her for the rest of her life and she needed to start breaking off from him sooner rather than later.

"It's my wedding,"  Natasha told him as calmly as she could.  She dug her nails into her palm as she said, "You didn't even arrange it, so what right do you have to plan the whole thing?"

That was clearly not the right thing to say, but Natasha only realised this after she'd said it.  Ivan looked like he might try to strike her like he had many times when she was younger, but he didn't make a move toward her.  It took a second before Natasha realised why he'd stayed back, but when she did, she gladly took in the sight of Steve walking into the room behind her.

"If you don't mind, Duke Ivan, I'll be taking Natasha away,"  Steve said. Even if he hadn't been the king, his tone of voice left no room for debate and Ivan could only watch as Steve offered Natasha his arm then walked her out of the room.

As soon as they had turned down the hall, Natasha wrapped her second hand around his arm and laid her head on his shoulder.  Ivan would have blown a gasket seeing her act so close with Steve, but he wasn't around anymore and she could finally relax.  Maybe she'd take a short nap on the walk up to his room.

"I'd ask you how your day was,"  Steve said with a small smile and Natasha snorted, "but I think I can figure out the answer by myself."

He pressed a kiss to her head and Natasha pressed even closer to him.

Steve had never pressed her to tell him about her relationship with Ivan, but he'd managed to paint a small picture of what it was like.  He didn't like the way he knew Ivan could be controlling and manipulative towards Natasha, something neither Ivan nor Natasha hid very well.  There was also a part of him that worried Ivan might even hit Natasha in private, but he wasn't going to pressure her to tell him and as of right now, she hadn't said anything about it.  However, judging by Ivan's posture and the look on his face when Steve had walked in, he'd assume Ivan had been milliseconds from striking Natasha.

"I thought weddings were supposed to be exciting,"  Natasha sighed, pulling her head from Steve's shoulder.  "Right now, they're just stressful."

"I'm sorry,"  Steve murmured.

They stayed silent as they passed one of Steve's advisors in the hall.  Natasha waited until the man was well past them before asking how his day was.  There was a pause, telling Natasha all she really needed to know. Nevertheless, Steve still smiled and said, "It was alright."

Natasha remained silent and Steve sighed.

"Stressful, if I'm honest," he muttered. "I try—"

Steve cut himself as yet another one of his advisors wandered past them.  The man nodded at them as he passed but neither of them acknowledged him.  Steve muttered something about telling her in a second as they both spotted his room up ahead.  They barely managed to slip in before yet another palace staff walked by.

As soon as she'd walked into the room, Natasha kicked off her shoes and collapsed onto the nearest couch.  Steve, on the other hand, took care to lock the door to prevent someone from bursting into the room at an inopportune moment.  Once he was sure the room was secure from any unwanted intruders, he joined Natasha on the couch.  He'd barely sat down before she was curled up close to him and closing her eyes.

"I take it the royal ass-visors aren't making things easy,"  Natasha said.

Steve chuckled and glanced down at her.  He could really only see the top of her red head because of how she was leaning against him, but he could still imagine the small grin she had on her face.