Misunderstandings & Gunshots

Summary: Sarah Rogers, the daughter of Steve and Natasha Rogers, can't wait for her dad to return home from a mission. However, when he does return, he's injured and badly in need of a hospital.

Sarah Natalia Rogers was currently draped over the couch, looking excitedly out the window for the seventh night in a row. It was still very light out thanks to the summer months, so she could almost see all the way down the street. If that stupid garage wasn't in her way, she would be able to see the entire street. Nevertheless, she strained to see around it in hopes of spotting her father quicker.

"Sarah?" Natasha called from the kitchen. Sarah turned around just as Natasha peered into the living room. "It's time for dinner, malyshka."

"But Daddy's not back yet," Sarah whined, slumping down on the couch and twisting around to face her mother. "Can we wait for him?"

"Alright," Natasha said, glancing out the window behind Sarah. "Five more minutes."

Sarah happily turned back around on the couch, her face nearly pressed against the window. Natasha smiled at her and shook her head. Every time one of them left for a mission, she would sit at the window every night and wait. Natasha wasn't sure when Steve was going to be back, but she hoped it was soon for Sarah's sake.

"Can I go on the porch, Mama?" Sarah asked.

Natasha nodded and watched as she scrambled off the couch and onto the porch, forgetting to shut the door all the way as she ran to the edge of the garage instead of staying on the porch. Natasha laughed softly and walked across the living room to shut the door. Right before the door latched, she heard a muffled bang and a loud scream.

Natasha threw open the door and rushed down to make sure Sarah was okay. It was obvious as soon as Natasha looked at her daughter that the five year old was fine. However, neighbours were flooding into the streets and began yelling even more.

"Stay here," Natasha told Sarah. She nodded and watched as Natasha rushed up the street to see what was wrong.

As soon as she broke through the crowd of neighbours, she froze. Steve was laying on the ground with blood seeping from his chest. He gasped for air and ended up coughing up blood. That was enough to get Natasha moving again as she rushed forward and dropped down beside him.

"Steve? What happened?" she asked, hands hovering over his wound as she tried to think up ways to stop the bleeding.

"Gun—" Steve was interrupted by more coughing and Natasha panicked even more. "I'm fine, Nat."

"You're most certainly not fine," Natasha snapped. She looked around and spotted a couple of her neighbours that were watching and waved them over. "Help me get him to my car," she instructed. Two men came over and helped her carefully pick up Steve and rush him a few houses down to their own.

"Daddy?" Sarah whimpered. Natasha had almost forgotten about her in the haste to get Steve to the car.

"He'll be okay, malyshka," Natasha assured her, putting her clean hand on Sarah's cheek. "Get in the car. We're going to see Uncle Tony."

Sarah didn't have to be told twice. She clambered into her car seat and buckled her seatbelt as Natasha sped out of the driveway and towards the Tower. It was closer than SHIELD and Tony had good medical staff on hand, so that's where she headed. She broke nearly every traffic law on the way, but she wasn't going to take twenty minutes to be legal when she knew the Stark lawyers could get her out of any lawsuit if she got there in half the time illegally.

When they pulled up in front of the Tower, Steve was still coughing up blood and Sarah was in tears. Natasha tried to comfort her, but getting Steve inside and up to the medical floor was more important, so she focused on that instead.